3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Side Exit Exhaust Installed with Pics and WAV files!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:10 PM
jakeinfla74
|
Rookie
Default Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Side Exit Exhaust Installed with Pics and WAV files!!!

Ok, so I took a vacation day today for a scheduled doctor's appointment and afterwords stopped over to a local Weston, FloridaMeineke shop for a look around and price quote leading tosome sweet rumble and mean growling eminating from underneath the blue beast!

Installed: Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Muffler with dual chrome side pipes. ( A throwback to my Lightning days.) I thought about the dual pipes exiting behind the tire and opted for the side exhaust instead. I dig the look of the side pipes more and it's something I really loved about my Lightning.

Some cell phone pics:

Cost: $438.19 including tax and labor.
Items: Flowmaster Muffler, mendrel bent piping ( after the cat ), dual chrome tail pipes, and labor.

I think it was a fair price and I'm very happy with the end result!

Sound: What can I say? I love the low rumbling growl at idle. When he first started her up I was a tad disappointed by the gurgling rumble...until he revved it a bit. Damn! Jakey Likes!

The overall decibel level is EXACTLY what I was looking for. We discussed 40 versus a 50 series muffler, and I explained how although I loved my 40 series on my Mustang, at highway speeds I had to take Advil most days! He recommended the 50 and I have no regrets.

At low speeds under 2K RPM it goes into this rumbling gurgle that I love. At full throttle she's loud and demands your attention, while when letting off the gas a bit she's quiet and non-agressive sounding.

Question: I'm assuming just like my Mustang, the muffler takes a short while to break in, leading to a tad increase in volumeand rumble?

Overall I reccomend this setup for anyone looking for a deep, rumbling exhaust note without being overly obnoxious either in or out of the cab. The highway sound at 2K RPM ( 70MPH) is fine for me. The interior cabin exhibits a slight rumble that's easy to ignore with the wind noise hitting the sunroof. Although I found myself increasing speed just to hear her growl! So much for good gas mileage! LOL!

I'm hoping she opens up a bit more after she breaks in a bit,like my Mustangdid, butI'm honestly happy as is and look forward todriving her like never before!!!

I also stopped off at a local Napa autoparts store and picked up a K&N drop in filter. Not sure if this will affect the exhaust note at all, but she's breathing pretty well today with her new K&N and Flowmaster setup...I'll tell ya that!

~ J.

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:13 PM
cr80renob
Captain
Default RE: Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Side Exit Exhaust Installed with Pics!!!

That looks really good! I really like when trucks have the exhaust coming out before the tire!!! Sounds like your "sick day" was pretty sweet!!!

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:15 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker
Default RE: Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Side Exit Exhaust Installed with Pics!!!

Oooooohhhhh.[sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 05-22-2007 | 11:28 PM
jakeinfla74
|
Rookie

Update: WAV files uploaded!

Taken with my LG CU500 cell phone so the quality isn't great. A DAT recorder would be better.
Keep in mind the sound isn't properly reflected in these wav files. The startup emits deep rumbling bass and as the engine finds its idle she has a smooth flowing growl you can't really hear or feel in a wav file.

(look for "DOWNLOAD FILE" in upper left hand portion of the download page)

Remote Startup and idle: 1 foot away from tail pipes:
http://s4.quicksharing.com/v/7219593...ter50.wav.html

In the cabin with a rev:
http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/920726...w_rev.wav.html

~J.

Old 05-23-2007 | 12:09 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

looks great, i like the tips coming out the side together like that

Old 05-23-2007 | 12:15 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Absolutly sweet

Old 05-23-2007 | 12:21 AM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Looks and sounds awesome! Your sound bytes just sealed the deal for me! I had an 06 Charger and after putting 2 super 40's, I couldn't bear another vehicle with MDSwith Flows that sounded like the Charger did on the highway! Now that I've heard yours with the 50s, I am lovin' it! That is definitely my next mod!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-23-2007 | 01:10 AM
Hessmonster
Rookie

That's TIGHT. love the side exit.

Old 05-23-2007 | 02:55 AM
ThaChad
Professional
Default RE: Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Side Exit Exhaust Installed with Pics and WAV files!!!

ORIGINAL: jakeinfla74

Cost: $438.19 including tax and labor.
Items: Flowmaster Muffler, mendrel bent piping ( after the cat ), dual chrome tail pipes, and labor.

Meineke had a mandrel bender!?!?!?!?

I Live in Decatur, IL I can't find ANY shop that has a mandrel bender.

-TheChad

Old 05-23-2007 | 03:28 AM
jakeinfla74
|
Rookie
Default RE: Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Side Exit Exhaust Installed with Pics and WAV files!!!

I saw a Mendrel Bender and some strange looking machine he used modify the diameter of the inlet. Not sure what it's called. Pretty big shop in Weston.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Side Exit Exhaust Installed with Pics and WAV files!!!