3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
JPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions

We just bought a O4 Ram 1500 QuadCab.4X4,SLT,5.7 Hemi Magnum, has 75,000 km's,anything I should be aware of?

The dealer never mentioned anything about MDS,did the 04's come with it?

I purchased a K&N FIPK CAI last night,was that a good decision and how is the CAI is winter snowy conditions? Any real gains besides noise? I hoping for at least a honest 5hp, not the advertised 10.5! That would be nice though!

I'm am looking at the Magnaflow single catback,with 3" SS pipe,muffler,and 4" side exit, don't want a really loud system,especially inside noise or drone,the Magnaflow looks like very nice quality! Is there really any performance gains?

Lastly,would a Hypertech system void the warranty,as I have bought a extended warr.plan?

So far the truck is thirsty,driving it at 50-60 mph's!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
livetokite
Veteran
Default RE: Newbie Questions

welcome to DF, and congrats on the new truck

no the 04 hemi did not come with the MDS, the 06 hemi's and up do.

the CAI was a good choice. and you should be getting around what you said. it will also help you with your MPG.

i do not know much about magnaflow, but i have heard good about them.

no it shouldn't void anything.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

before you run out and get the hypertech i'd look into superchips also. After comparing the two i find that the superchips is more preferred and from what i understand you can't correct the speedo if you ever change the tire size with a hypertech but can on a superchips. I could be wrong but that is the way i am understanding what i read on their site.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Congrats on the new buy... you did good with the CAI, and it won't make any differance in the snow. You are probably more realistic then most when it comes to the gains from the CAI. A programmer won't kill your warrenty, unless they can trace that as the cause of a malfunction. You will want to return it to stock whenever you bring it into service, if they update you PCM you could loose your software, then it is a pain in the ***** to get a new program sent to you. I really like my Superchips Flashpaq, it is worth looking into, especially because of some of its newer options. I can measure 0- 60 time, 1/4 mile times (actually, there is a whole bunch of differant 0 to whatever times and distance times w/ MPH), the ability to monitor differant engine and emission paramiters and view them either on the reader or on your computer. Also you can use it to change tire size, rev limiter, mph limiters, shift points, fuel octane performaces, and read and erase trouble codes. Also being updatable from the internet allows you to get the latest upgrades from Dodge for your PCM.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:11 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I had superchips on my 2006 1500 hemi and loved it. had a generic cai and it worked well. welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:05 AM
JPM

Thanks for the responses!

I am leaning toward the SC Flashpaq,as I reviewed it more!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Use the search function on this site... there has been a few problems that other owners have had, and would be worth looking into before you make a $400 something dollar decision... but personally I have never had an issue.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 PM
JPM

Ah, I searched some more here as per you suggested,hopefully I'm not making a wrong choice!

As of right now,I am not impressed what so ever with the performance of this truck or the 5.7l HEMI, this thing accellerates like a slug, transmission shifts way to soon, this truck is not hyper or a handful by anymeans!

Would the 3.55 gears kill the accelleration that much??

Hopefully the Flashpaq and Magnaflow liven this snail up! Fu-k,f-ck,fuc-!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 PM
JPM

Well I have some time on my truck with my 3 modifications.

I installed the K&N FIPK cold air kit, very simple install,produces a nice sound, nice quality!

I then installed the Magnaflow, single side exit,stainless steel cat back exhaust system,again a very simple install, excellent quality and fit and finish, looks and sounds awesome! I'm glad I did not run a dual system,or Flowmaster, this system produces a very throaty rumble,and yes you can hear it in the cab!

Lastly I installed the Superchip Flashpaq, but before I did the install I downloaded 2 updates available at Flashpaq.com that were available for my application, this was all very simple! I opted for the 87oct program at this time because of the heavy fuel prices we are all experiencing these days. The best part I have seen from the Flashpaq is the slightly improved transmission shifts. I imagine the real gains are in the Performance program. There is actually very little you can alter with the Superchips,which was a surprise.

Now, all of the above mods made for a nice performance increase on my 5.7 Hemi Magnum, I still feel this engine is very overrated, but the truck looks nice,and drives nice!

For the record, after completing the 3 above mods, my fuel economy stayed EXACTLY the same as stock, my truck gets 550km's/345miles per tank, with a max speed of 60mph's during my before and after testing!

I spent $1500.00 CDN for my mods and about 4 hours in time, I dig the exhaust tone the best!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions