3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:51 AM
SilverRam_01
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Name:  212121.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  71.4 KB

Old 12-28-2007, 01:28 AM
kvsmith2004
Veteran

Here is my exhaust...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2461707

Old 12-28-2007, 01:38 AM
lanceh13
Amateur

I have the American Thunder Series from Flowmaster which has the Flowmaster 50HD muffler...great sound and I got the whole cat-back kit for 438 shipped from lmperformance.com I had my local garage install it for $50. Based on the directions it is a easy install...but I wanted to have my splices welded...so best $50 spent. I also really like the exhaust tips...on the top of them they have flowmaser etched into them...

They also give you the option of running them straight out the back...or right behing the rear tires on each side.

But overall great sound...but MDS is noticeable...

Old 12-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Vandersnoot
Professional

I am getting my exhaust done on Monday (FM 50 Series SUV 1 in 2 out)......When i was talking to the guy at the muffler shop he said that he runs 2 1/4 pipes off of the muffler to give the appropriate amount of backpressure so you dont throw an engine code. Reading through all of these exhaust threads it seems that the correct formula is 3' in 2.5' out.

So my question is do I tell the guy at the exhaust shop to do 2.5' instead of 2.25'??
He does seem to know what he is talking about and he has done work on the Hemi with MDS?

Thoughts??

Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
MoparRob
Veteran

I am not an expert or anything. But I dont really think it would make a difference. You've only got 3 inches before it and then 4 1/2 after, so really I dont think you will be losing anything. I dont think it would make a difference in sound. Although it is kinda odd that he would suggest that because almost all the kits are 2.5. And most people herehave 2.5.....

Old 12-28-2007, 01:44 PM
pcollins
Veteran

I agree with TD. I know there is somewhat of a difference, but I am going to get 2.5" outs when I get mine done regardless.

One question I have is: Should I get everything WELDED or CLAMPED when I get my Magnaflow single in, dual out muffler installed with new exit pipes?

I dont have a 4x4 so there will be little to no off-roading. I know the factory muffler is just clamped, but welded seems much more secure under there. What do you guys think I should do? Anyone know the difference in price for installation at a shop? Thanks!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:35 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

I would definitely weld it. With my factory exhaust I kept getting small leaks and rattles, I did end up replacing most of the clamps (old ones were rusted and seized), that fixed the problem but for who knows how long. When I got my new muffler installed I had them weld the rest of the fittings too. And if you look at the kits I know a large majority recommend welding the connections even when they include clamps. Ona price difference I would imagine there would be little to none.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

I paid $15 extra to get my Cherry Bomb clamped. I wanted to weld it but I figured that I'd get in trouble with the race muffler and would have to throw the Flowmaster back on.

The 50 Series SUV that now resides in my truck's bed is a 3 inch in, 2.5 out. My Flowmaster was clamped and I never had a leak/rattle for the year I had it on the truck.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Lol. So I just had a great experience calling around to some muffler shops trying to get quotes on how much it would be fora cat-back system. I have to tell you the story with this one shop...

So I call and tellthis guywhat I am looking to do and if he could help me with a quote. He says "Wellll... what kind of truck is it?" As if I am a complete waste of time. So I tell him and he says "Okkkkk... what do you want with it". I told him I would most likely bring in my own Magnaflow and have them install it, customize the pipes and add tips. As soon as I am finishing that statement he jumps in and says "Why would you want to buy your own muffler and bring it in? You are just gonna void your own guarantee, but whatever." And I said, well I think I could get it cheaper online than what you would sell it to me for. And he says "Well its gonna be 400 if we give you the muffler and install it, or 325 if you bring one in and then say goodbye to your guarantee". (Which is way over-priced I might add).Then he continues "I dont see why you wouldnt want to buy it here... isnt that like bringing a hamburger into a restaurant?" And laughs. I said well I wont be bringing my hamburger into your restaurant *******, you can bet on that. And I hung up the phone.

I just couldnt believe what a complete ***** this guy was being and how he acted likeI was a complete inconvenience to him. Oh well, he will only get bad referrals from me from now on

On a lighter note... I have an appointment for next wednesday at a shop to get my system put on. BUT I NEED YOUR HELP!!! When I go in I have to tell them where I want the pipes placed: both out before passenger rear tire, both straight out the back, or one behind each rear wheel. What do you guys think would look best on my truck?!?! It is a little more expensive if I get them straight out or behind each wheel due to having to use more pipe. I am really torn and would like to hear any feedback on what to do!!! Thanks

P.S.- Magnaflow dual out muffler, 2 tips, and piping is: $253- in front of rear wheel
$350- straight out or behind each wheel

Those are out the door prices.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

IMO I have never liked the straight out the rear look. Not that they look bad it just seems that they always look outta place. My favorite for a 4X4 is behind the rear tire, and for a street machine infront of the tire (no idea why, just always been my preference). Either way going out the sides will look awesome...

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!