3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
pcollins
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

ORIGINAL: 05Hemi_man

I have a Banks Monster Exhaust system for my 5.7L. I love it. Throaty on the take-off and mellows out to near stock when you reach cruising speed.
Exactly how my Magnaflow is that I jsut got put on today. I love it. Absolutely love it.... Pics coming soon!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

Is it worth it to buy a Magnaflow Y-Pipe (~$70) if I keep the stock cat on?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 AM
pcollins
Veteran

ORIGINAL: BadRam1

Is it worth it to buy a Magnaflow Y-Pipe (~$70) if I keep the stock cat on?
I think thats really only something you can answer for yourself. If it would make you feel better about what you are doing with the exhaust, then yeah its only $70, go ahead and do it. However, I dont think you would notice a bit of difference if you didnt have it.

For example, I got mine done today and they left my cat in place (only have 1 on the '05), chopped out the muffler and what was behind it. Welded in a Magnaflow 3" SI / 2.5" DO, ran pipes off of it to the back, and had 1 pipe exit behind each rear wheel and welded on some 3"tips. $350 out the door, with muffler, pipe, tips, and labor included.

Unless you are going for a True Dual setup, I would be more concerned with the actual muffler you pick rather than the nit-picky things that go into an exhaust job (if that makes sense?). The muffler is going to be a constant reminder of either the good, or the bad, choice you made when you decided what to do!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Blstr88

Anyone have any experience with Gibson exhaust on an MDS equipped Hemi?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 PM
nuttyprofessor
Rookie

I seem to notice that most people say...this is teh loudest, the most power, etc....

Does anyone have or know where hard numbers for improvements/ decibels can be found for our trucks?????

I know for my bike, I found a website which detailed different aftermarket exhausts on a stock bike with hp gains and decibel ratings at different rpms. Just wondering if anything like this exists?? Would make the whole exhaust question about which is the loudest less subjective.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:10 PM
pcollins
Veteran

ORIGINAL: nuttyprofessor

I seem to notice that most people say...this is teh loudest, the most power, etc....

Does anyone have or know where hard numbers for improvements/ decibels can be found for our trucks?????

I know for my bike, I found a website which detailed different aftermarket exhausts on a stock bike with hp gains and decibel ratings at different rpms. Just wondering if anything like this exists?? Would make the whole exhaust question about which is the loudest less subjective.
If you are talking catback systems I wouldn't hold your breath as to seeing gains in ANYTHING. To me, it is apurely cosmetic mod that just sounds cool as hell. But if you dida true exhaust setup including the headers and the cat all the way back, then you may see some improvements. Some guys on here have made posts about it, just do a search.

Most guys will tell you though (myself included), that once you have done an exhaust to your truck, I hope you arent expecting any MPG increase, because once you hear it roar you are going to step on it any chance you get!

Speaking of that, brb I need to go cruise my neighborhood for a few minutes

Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

ORIGINAL: pcollins

ORIGINAL: nuttyprofessor

If you are talking catback systems I wouldn't hold your breath as to seeing gains in ANYTHING. To me, it is apurely cosmetic mod that just sounds cool as hell. But if you dida true exhaust setup including the headers and the cat all the way back, then you may see some improvements. Some guys on here have made posts about it, just do a search.

Most guys will tell you though (myself included), that once you have done an exhaust to your truck, I hope you arent expecting any MPG increase, because once you hear it roar you are going to step on it any chance you get!

Speaking of that, brb I need to go cruise my neighborhood for a few minutes

http://ls1tech.com/forums/archive/in.../t-119518.html
I believe the test was performed on a Mustang. It shows hp/tq/db ratings for 16 or 17 different exhaust set ups

Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
nuttyprofessor
Rookie

I have seen it for other vehicles such as f-bodies, mustangs, and even my CBR 1000RR....

Each motor would have a different max sound level achieved.

As for Horsepower increase, there should be some. Increasing the amount of air flow out should get some extra ponies. After all in an engineering light, a motor is just a giant air pump, more in/out should have a net gain.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
mberg501

ok guys 05 qc 2wd 4.7 with cai and a chip. i cant decide what to do or what i think sounded good so i just went out and after the ypipe i unbolted the whole damm thing and that sounded friggin awsome!!!!! so whats the closest thing i can get to that and stay legal in CA[/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
SmittyRN
Professional

I lucked out today... turns out all youngbloods around here like the loud mufflers, sometimes even straight pipes. My exhaust guy had a stainless steel Magnaflow SI/DO sitting on the shelf that had been there for almost 2 years. Muffler, dual pipes, chrome tips (side by side behind the wheel; can't go in front because of the wheel to wheel nerf bar), labor, $275 plus tax. And it has EXACTLY the sound I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!