3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Lash
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

My truck had a Borla cat-back on it when I bought it. So far I have gotten nothing but compliments about it. It's the perfect tone...yet the perfect loudness too. I think it sounds great......butif I personaly had to pay that much money for an exhaust....I would have went with something else. I'm just lucky it was on the truck when I got it.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:10 PM
scoose

I went down to the local muffler shop and talked to the guy for a while about what was best on the 5.7 MDS. He told me there are a lot of folks come in and put a 40 or 50 series Flowmaster on. However more than half come back and change the muffler to something a little quieter due to the cab noise. Basically, unless you want a loud *** truck with a lot of cab noise, stay away from the Flowmaster brand.

He suggested a single in dual out Dynomax Turbo muffler. I told him to go ahead and do it.

He cut the pipe about 16 inches in front of the "elephant muffler" and took everything out going back from there.

BTW are all 3 of those inline cannisters cat converters???

Anyway he welded the muffler in and put two pipes heading out the back with some nice slash cut tips. Started it up and VIOLA it's exactly what the doctor ordered!!! It has a real nice growl and the sound in the cab is puuuuuurrrrfect!! There is a little resonation in the cab at about 50 mph but that goes away at highway speeds andthere is no resonationon the in town scene.

This was a great deal IMHO at $285 installed OTD!

Old 07-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I got the Gibson swept cat back on my 5.9. Sounds awsome, not really a whole lotta gain in the HP though, as far as I can feel anyway. But that's really all I've done so far. Maybe it will make more of a diff when I put aCAI on it.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scoose

Basically, unless you want a loud *** truck with a lot of cab noise, stay away from the Flowmaster brand.
Speaking from firsthand experience the Flowmaster is not a "loud ***" truck. I have a Flowmaster super 40 and I love the sound and at no time does it seem like it drones much more than the stock setup nor is it so loud I can't carry on a conversation in the cab. I just returned from a 5000 mile trip and if it would have been annoying I would have noticed by about the 500th mile but as it was the sound was sweet.

ORIGINAL: scoose

BTW are all 3 of those inline cannisters cat converters???
The 3 cannisters are the muffler (big one in the middle) and the front and rear resonator. The cat's are located well before the front resonator. When I had my flowmaster put on I had the rear resonator taken off.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 AM
scoose

ORIGINAL: Pirata

Speaking from firsthand experience the Flowmaster is not a "loud ***" truck. I have a Flowmaster super 40 and I love the sound and at no time does it seem like it drones much more than the stock setup nor is it so loud I can't carry on a conversation in the cab. I just returned from a 5000 mile trip and if it would have been annoying I would have noticed by about the 500th mile but as it was the sound was sweet.
Opinions about tolerable noise are about the same as opinions on the best motor oil or the best tires. [8D]

ORIGINAL: pirata
The 3 cannisters are the muffler (big one in the middle) and the front and rear resonator. The cat's are located well before the front resonator. When I had my flowmaster put on I had the rear resonator taken off.
Pirata we are talking about different things. The cannisters I'm speaking of are....

One is right after the left manifold
One is right after the right manifold
One is right after the "y" pipe. But before the muffler

I know that big ol hunk of metal weighing inat 89 lbs is a muffler

Old 07-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Hemi_Delux

2007 ram 1500/mds 5.7 hemi quad cab big horn
just put pacesetter long tube headers,no cats offroad Ypipe3'
into the pacesetter TFX exhaust system 1 3"pipe in 2 2 1/2 pipes out
sonds a littel like (glass packs) not sure if i like it
truck seems to be running a littel rough could this be the MDS system??
did i mess up my truck.. let me know please..

Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 PM
TheBigOne

i just joined the website. i bought i new 07 with mds hemi. i'm a big fan of loud without bad loud if you understand that what are my options ? super 40 single in dual out?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM
casper3380
Veteran

Ok, want a hands down opinion for this. I want an exhaust system. Im looking at gibson atm ( for my hemi). My first priority is power, a good sound is good as well, but not too loud though. What would be the best system to consider. The system would be installed at the same time as a cai ( wanting AEM Brute force if that helps). With everyones' experience here, im hoping for help to make the final choice. thx again.
casper

Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Im3Good4U
Rookie

Ive heard alot about all different types of exhaust on this sticky but I have not read a single post about headers. Im sure someone on this forum has installed headers... Please share some light about computer, oxygen sensor, and all those problems i hear about....

Also Besides the aggresive sound do you really get any Hp out switching just the muffler. If so how much??? (on avg)

Old 07-27-2007, 03:30 PM
jackalbite

imho the best would be to do wat the user pakaalbite (now bobbylight) did. he has a 2005 4.7 with a flowmaster 40 series dumped. he had a few videos of it on youtube but idk if theyre still up??

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!