3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Ly21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

OKay.. There is tons of pages... I have a 2004 hemi sport... Where can i get a exhaust that goes from the Y pipe back.. I don't want any resonator. the 2 cats, and a muffler is all i want... Dual or single don't matter... Someone help me out..

I've always been thinkin about gettin a glass pack connected to to the Y pipe, and dumping it. Also thought about 2 E-cutouts right after the cats....

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM
esskmo
Professional

I have an 02 1500 Quad cab SLT with the 5.9L 4x4. I have the Gibson Cat-Back Extreme Dual Exhaust Single in dual out at the muffler 3 1/2" tips...it is very nice, quiet when I baby the pedal, but a nice rumble when I push it, and it is constant on the freeway. I don't mind the noise, I actually like it. on the freeway i hear my exhaust over my tires, but just by a little bit. Oh I have 35" cooper discoverer STT's.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:45 AM
RAM15004X4
Amateur

I've got an 07 Ram 4x4 and wanted to know if anyone has just removed the resonator (I only have one behind the muffler) andleft the stock muffler? My goal is to have a beefier sound outside without all the resonance inside the cab.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM
antman11

I like the way the flowmaster american thunder kit sounds on my 07 thunder road it has a great low roar sounds great when pulling put but doesnt resonate into the cab like the borla i actually was gonna buy a 05 daytona but couldnt live with the cab vibrations from the borla system (also an old head) ha, this is single in dual out system either straight out or behind the tires ,mine is behind the tires so it works for the kid in me when i put it in tow mode ( i do this whenever i see a ford ) but yet you dont have to deal w/the interior resonance hope this helps ,tko harley

Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 AM
VaderPainter
Rookie

Man what an incredible read!

I have been in here for hours now reading and doing research on exhaust systems for my newly aquired Black 2005 Ram HEMI Power Wagon. Man this is one sweet truck. I will post some pics tomorrow in the rides section once I have cleaned her up for her debute to you guys...

Back to the subject at hand...

I have just about decided upon theHooker MaxFlo because of the incredible information Puddle Jumper posted a few pages back...

My first visit to this site. Like to say something about the exhaust systems. Went to a Proffesional independant flow bench tester that test for the goverment and various other outfits.
He has a list of about fourty something brands of mufflers. Some we've all heard of and some not so name brands. In scales of 200 C.F.M's to 600 C.F.M's Flowmasters"all series" never got past the high200's very poor flow rates. Big name Hum! Magnaflows were in 360's for true duals. not to bad. Hooker various models 400's class. Decent performance with a price to match. Borla's X class was top dog, In the 646 C.F.M's. So was the price. I settled for the Magna's. They seem to work fine, No crappy noise. In short You get what you pay for. Do your research don't just put on a part because it sounds good or your buddy has one.
And thus began my quest for information...

Having been an Automotive Technician for well over 25 years now, 12 of those as a Master ASE soI kinda knew the jist of the lingo about C.F.M.'s and flow rates. Although most of those years were with Nissan I dont really have a lot of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep experience. I do have a couple of good friends that work at the local Dodge dealer and help me out when I need to work on my truck, I have learned a lot for both of them building my 1500's transmission and rear diff with their help and instruction.As far as C.F.M.'s go I had never really thought about it before but it could be the reason my 95 5.9L 1500 4X4 with straight pipes from the cats out never really impressed me much. No back pressure?I bought it that way back in 2001 and never changed it because it sounded "Cool". Now I am opting for performance along with improved sound and for the money the Hooker MaxFlo seems to make the most sence. I did a little searching and managed to find them at the local Summit Racing Outlet just down the street for just a little less than they are going for on EBay. I think I am going to pick up mine tomorrow if they havethem in stock. I will get a local muffler shop to install it and take a peek underneath with the installer before hand to make sure we dont get in the way of the factorydiff locksor sway bar controls. Any recommendations fronm you guys as to where would be the best to drop them, rear, sides before tires, at the rear end?

Anyone have any more recomendations for my Power Wagon? I am thinking my next logical step is the computer re-programmer. I see in another thread you are looking at the SuperChip, is it the best for any particular reason verses the others that are offered. What about HyperTech? I have always heard good stuff about them but see nothing in there mentioning them..

Bob

Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
TKOHarley

Thanks for the info ANTMAN. I just put an order in for the Magna Flow (16701) SS two before the rear tire. Should have them on this week. Thanks Again.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: TKOHarley

Thanks for the info ANTMAN. I just put an order in for the Magna Flow (16701) SS two before the rear tire. Should have them on this week. Thanks Again.
you will be happy i got a magnaflow on my truck sounds grat, looks great, and a lifetime warranty!!! all stainless steel mandral bent piping!! ( i might as well be on a commercial )

Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM
COTFAN

First post

2007 1500 Ram Hemi - 1200 miles Installed K&N Air charger and JBA CatBack Evol system.

This is the 4th identical setupI've installed.

I have to say - it is the worst sounding. 1-20 mph sounds great. Tow Haul sounds great 30-45 MDS activate - like crap. 55 mph MDS activated 4 cylinder rice burner with muffler.

I thought I had leaks in new exhaust had it welded around all seams still bad.

Question - will Tow / Haul keep MDS deactivated at all times? Will doing this hurt the transmission?

I've seen other post about MDS at it seems to be universal a crappy thing. I'm getting 14.5 according to the truck.

If this is how the muffler is going to sound, might be stock back on.

Yes - I do like the big truck sound - but the engine can not make up its mind what it is.

Thanks and help

Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM
VaderPainter
Rookie

Well I have about decided to go with a Borla 40349 3" in/dual 2.5" out. There is a guy selling them on EBay for $89! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me as I have talked to the people at Summit Racing and they say that is below cost. I guess he is selling factory blems or seconds, same guarantee though. Look sweet to me considering the flow rates of a Borla verses many others.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 AM
metalmoshing

True dual strait pipes with silverline tips! Cut everything off after the 2 cats and weld on 2 3/4 inch stainless steel piping and run them back. It sounds extremely aggressive and my truck scares children and old people.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!