3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New audio system??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Max00racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New audio system??

Kinda thinking of getting a new sound system in the truck... the head unit install kit is $8 on ebay. I want a nice head unit and new speakers to get a good crisp sound. Any reccomendations on head units? preferably with the aux in for the ipod. Then a reccomendation for speakers?? You can go about it without having to change out all the wiring right? Im not looking to go extreme, just want good sound.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: New audio system??

I have a panasonic head unit and infinity speakers and love them both! The infinity's are definately the best speakers i've had.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:51 AM
austin
Veteran

you thinking about getting some 10in subs? or maybe 12s hehehe...

iv noticed really nice speakers rock, and you dont need a sub. My friend has a single 10 in his truck and all he really listens to is country(and rap when we gotta look fly rollin by in a bad *** chevy!) and it sounds awsome with the stock speakers.
ehh, just something to think about

Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Go with the sub... less chance to damage your speakers at higher volume (more so if running an amp to them) and it will just sound so much cleaner if the doors only have to deal with the mids and highs and let the sub handle the lows... or get components (my next stereo upgrade... ) and let the doors handle the mids and tweeters for the highs, additionally it will raise the sound in your truck from down around your waist to up around your chest or head (raising the soundstage or whatever it is called)

Old 06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
blueatlanta

do you guys use the under the seat sub box in the quad cabs? if so what do you think of them?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I had a sub box fabed by my local audio shop, fits under the passanger rear seat and holds a single JL W1 10" woofer. For me, it puts out an awesome amount of bass (I usually have to dial it back to prevent a song from getting mudded out, or when my daughter is in the truck). I got it made up for $400 including the woofer and all that, better then the $800+ for the JL Stealthbox and it supposidly sounds better because the W3 that they put in there doesn't perform as well as the W1 in small enclosures. I question some of those ebay boxes that are around $50... I kinda think that you get what you pay for. Others had a lot of luck with them. MTX makes an enclosure for 2 10"s but you loose all under seat storage, and I wanted at least half of mine

Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Max00racer
Veteran

I have the component system with the tweeters and door lows and rear mids. I think it sounds muddy. I want crisp sound...can I get away with just upgrading the speakers and not the head unit?? I dont want subs or anything, dont have room for stuff in the cab as it is.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:32 PM
slapshot12
Professional

In previous cars, I've had both Pioneer Premier and Alpine. I would buy both of them again. The best speakers I had were MB Quartz and JL Audio. Again, I'd buy them both again. I had MB components in my Lightning with an amp and they sounded awesome running of a Pineer HU. I've never had subs, just amps and a decent system have made my ears happy.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

What are the speakers sizes for an 07' Ram regular cab? I might be getting one here before long and I was wondering if I could transfer my 6X9's and 6 1/2's from my current truck to a newer one?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

Go to www.crutchfield.com and select "Outfit My Car". They will tell you what units and other items will fit. They will also give you free mounting brackets and wiring harnesses if you spend more than $129. I just ordered a new head unit and satellite receiver from them and priced separately everything would have cost me over $300. But with the free mounting kit, wiring harness and $50 off the satellite receiver it cost me less than $180.

Quick Reply: New audio system??