3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drum Roll Please...180 T-Stat Install.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:04 PM
go49ers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drum Roll Please...180 T-Stat Install.....

How does the 180 T-stat affect the fan? In other words is the fan set to come on at 195 degrees (Factory T-Stat) which means it would never come on because the truck stays at 180 now. Or does the fan kick on whenever the T-Stat opens to cool the engine down? Just curious because I know some programmers have an option to control the fan because you are running a lower T-Stat. Inquiring minds want to know.......

Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: go49ers

How does the 180 T-stat affect the fan? In other words is the fan set to come on at 195 degrees (Factory T-Stat) which means it would never come on because the truck stays at 180 now. Or does the fan kick on whenever the T-Stat opens to cool the engine down? Just curious because I know some programmers have an option to control the fan because you are running a lower T-Stat. Inquiring minds want to know.......
The 180 t-stat has no effect on a stock belt driven fan.
The stock fan for my radiator is a mechanical clutch type attached to my water pump so it runs all the time. This stock fan is belt driven (continuous parasitic fan as it takes power away from your engine to provide cooling air flow)

Your AC condenser has an electric fan but is not part of the engine cooling system.

My neighbor had an e-fan installed on his Ram as part of his upgrade path to HP heaven.

TheE-Fan mod to your radiator cooling system removers the parasitic belt driven fan and replaces it with an electric fan and frees up a few more horses. The e-fan mod does allow you to adjust the temp of when the e-fan itself turns on. Me thinks it posta be set 10 degrees less than the t-stat. So for a 180 t-stat you would set yer e-fan to kick on at170. I could be wrong.

P.S.
E-fan is definitely going on Pappys list O mods

Hope this helps

Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
go49ers
Professional

Thanks Pappy that clears it up for me I appreciate the info.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Pappy_FB

The stock fan for my radiator is a mechanical clutch type attached to my water pump so it runs all the time. This stock fan is belt driven (continuous parasitic fan as it takes power away from your engine to provide cooling air flow)

Your AC condenser has an electric fan but is not part of the engine cooling system.

My neighbor had an e-fan installed on his Ram as part of his upgrade path to HP heaven.

TheE-Fan mod to your radiator cooling system removers the parasitic belt driven fan and replaces it with an electric fan and frees up a few more horses. The e-fan mod does allow you to adjust the temp of when the e-fan itself turns on. Me thinks it posta be set 10 degrees less than the t-stat. So for a 180 t-stat you would set yer e-fan to kick on at170. I could be wrong.

P.S.

Hope this helps
I can't wait for the contradictory post.

I'll just do it myself.
(disclaimer: I just googled this but didn read it)
http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efanmyth.htm

Old 07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

ok, just put mine in today. i want to say it feels really good, but it's prolly my imagination. yall know, you do a mod, you're all excited, you test drive and you feel like you just got bigger *****. anyway, i was wondering if superchips would somehow prevent my cel light from coming on in this situation. i already had sc in and now i just did the stat.is it worth returningmy programming back to stock for a few days and see if it throws any codes with the new stat or should i just leave it alone?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pappy_FB

P.S.

Hope this helps
You pretty much hit the nail right on the head Pappy, only thing I might add is that the stock, belt driven fan turns in direct relation to your RPM's, which is why you are much more prone to over-heating in city traffic or when 4-wheeling slowly such as rock climbing, when RPM's and consequently fan speed is low. An e-fan turns at the same high rate of speed whenever it is running.

BTW -- Props to Pappy for putting in MY Jet 180* thermostat this evening. I just got it last nite and was dying to put it in, but a pretty severe eye infection had me not feeling to good about messing with it myself (that, coupled with the fact I didn't think I could fit my huge meathooks down near that bottom bolt). He made it look easy, just like he'd done it before!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Yer welcome HammerZ71

DeWalt are you getting a code or worried you are going to get a code?

Etiher way it can't hurt to set her back to stock, then do a reset.

Sir Hardin Thicke that was to funny bro...

Old 07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just added mine this evening. I am driving a 4 hour trip to Hatteras on Saturday and I will post the results. Thnaks for the link Pappy and the intel, worked like a champ.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 AM
dieseldoc1
Professional

good description on install, will give it a go. 1 thing,the bleed hole is for filling the system,not for draining it. the bleed hole is to vent air from behind the therostat so the sensing bulb is in the coolant as it must be to operate properly. they won't open right on steam. clutch fans lock up somewhere over 210 degrees so ur not fighting the full force of the fan until then.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:02 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

everyone is sayin they were gonna post results.. did anyone see a gain/loss in mpg, power, anything??

Quick Reply: Drum Roll Please...180 T-Stat Install.....