3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

theft of Rams

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
derwood
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default theft of Rams

Just wondering how most Rams are being stolen. How easy is it even with our fobs? While I am not trying to encourage the bottom feeders info on stealing our rides, I am trying to comprehend how they are getting away with it despite all the advances in automotive security. Your experiences or input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
TReX5.7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: theft of Rams

Most of the rams in my area that have been messed with werent stolen. Most owners wake up to their trucks on blocks with no wheels. It seemsa pair of wheel locks just dont cut it. Only reason im glad i dont have the 20's, they probably would have been stolen by now. My old 05 dakota was broken into as well with the ignition torn to pieces. 6 vehicles stolen while I have lived here including the rents. I smarted up with the ram though and got a two way alarm, shotty by my bed side, ready to dash out the door! Bastards[:@](totally didnt answer your question)

Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Ram is really easy to get into. From what I understand they can pop the door handle out and gain entry in about 10-15 seconds, depends on how good they are.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
chadmech28
Professional

Rams aren't being stolen from the smash and grab kind. I work at a dealer and our drb3 was stolen, sure enough our trucks were dissapering. Now they have a scanner thay can program your skim key. They call some body that works on the inside with them ,with the vin and they supply them with a key code and skim code. So they cut the key and program it on the spot tuck is gone in about 2 minutes. so there isn't much you can do for this. The kids that are smashing your ignition up and tring to start it with a screw driver days are over. They just wreck your truck thats all. They won't be able to bypass skim. hope this helps

Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
anthem ss

Bottom line is, they want it they're getting plain & simple. I've had a couple of buddy's that have had their Rams stolen over the past three years, it didn't deter me from getting mine, if they take it, i don't want it back. Pretty much any truck is easy to at least break into. Personally i watch where i park when i go out, if i go to the mall or any kind "bad" neighborhood, i'm usually in & out. When i lived in NYC, i had a great knack for finding parking spot near where i was going to be & never had an issue, i had buddy's who've had their cars stolen right out of parking garages. Don't loose sleep over it & keep your insurance current!!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

i agree...i just moved to the detroit area about a week ago and it's nothing like back home. back home you could leave the windows down, truck unlocked with money sittin out in the open and no one would bother it...here in detroit i'm almost afraid to go to sleep at night lol....but no, like anthem said i just watch where i park and make sure it's someplace that is highly visible by alot of people so that way if something did happen then maybe someone would see it

Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
derwood
Rookie

The only reasons Iam asking was while I was in Quebec City for the week the hotel had a secured area for trucks, 4x4's especially. The last thing I wanted was to wake up in the morning and find it gonzo. Thought it was pretty neat for the hotel to do that. Today I was checking my brakes and had a hell of a time with one of the lock nuts again, so I decided to trash them and just put on the regular lug til I find a locknut that's easier to work with. Anyone else have issues with the Mopar locknuts? I torque them as recommended and rotate my tires regularily but always seem to have problems getting them off. I am not using an impact gun so maybe that's part of the problem. What is everybody else using for the locknuts that work for them? As far as Ram thefts here in Ottawa, I can't say I've heard of too many. For sure if they want it bad enough they will resort to anything to get it and we hope not to get it back!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Look at my photo galery. you will see what happens when you sleep.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Hemi1500_600RR
Rookie

Wow, that bites.............

Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Yea it really sucked.