3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration at 60 when I'm on the gas...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM
aaronstottle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at 60 when I'm on the gas...

Just started noticing this problem....
I have a heavy vibration between 60 and 70mph. when I'm on the gas. When I let off, it's not as bad. I had new tires put on two weeks ago, and it got worse then. I noticed it before the new tires, but it wasn't as bad. I just had the tires balanced again, feels the same. I can see the drive selector shifter vibrating when it happens. Also seems to happen more going uphill. Am I crazy?

Could it be engine or transmission mounts? U joints feel o.k., I don't think it's the tires - why would it only happen in that speed range?
Someone help please!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
eltupac
All Star
Default RE: Vibration at 60 when I'm on the gas...

I had the same problem. I took it in thinking it was my 2 piece drive shaft. I wasnt, they force balance the tires and its gone. You might need that. Do you have 20's?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
aaronstottle
Professional

No, I have 17's on mine.

Would this account for it only happening at those speed ranges?

I would think if they needed balancing, I would feel the vibration constantly. I don't know. I just don't want to have something fall off on the highway.....

Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
aaronstottle
Professional

Got under there and checked the transmission and motor mounts - that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. Where do I find a place that does force balancing? Can all shops do it or is there special equipment involved?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM
reindeerman
Rookie

When I first purchased my truck used I noticed a similar situation. Nothing serious and I chalked it up to the exhaust (because the outer skin of the muffler was coming loose). Since then I have replaced the tires but have not serviced the muffler. I have a little of the resonate noise/vibration left but not much. If I replace the muffler I may cure the rest but I am waiting because the only time I experience this now is under heavy load or towing and I expect some of that.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:25 AM
eltupac
All Star

Yeah. I would be driving and at 65 the vibration started. I would let go of the gas and it would stop. I honestly thought that it was the drive-shaft. How could it be the tires? but they did the force balance at the dealership and it solved it. Ask the dealer that you are experiencing this and for them to check the drive-shaft. Let them do the investigation.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
FL Cracker
Rookie

I'm having the exact same issue at the exact same speed. Had the tires trued and high speed balanced twice. Did not change a thing. It's a slight vibration at that speed that is just enough to annoy the crap out of me.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 PM
aaronstottle
Professional

I am not under warranty, and my dealer was a state away, so I'd rather not go that route.
Do all tire shops have the ability to load balance?

Quick Reply: Vibration at 60 when I'm on the gas...