3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N CAI Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 PM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: K&N CAI Installed

I see now. I didn't realize it was part of the cover.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up Pirata!!!

When you gonna go for a test drive?

That so freckin cool!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

The 7/8" drill would have been used to drill a hole in the tube for the AIT sensor. All the manufacturers got smart and drilled it for you.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

Nice!! I like the step-by-step photos! Does the truck sound better now and run much stronger?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 PM
BLACKTRX4
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Pirata

The kit was really easy to install. The instructions included step by step pics along the way. I will admit being a little intimidated by the instruction because they included like 30 some odd steps however each step was only one thing to do rather than 4 different things to do within each step like I am used to. As far as I can see the only thing I am not thrilled about is where the hose goes through the cold air box. There is a space of about 1" at the top for hot engine air to enter. I am planning on adding a gasket, similar to the gasket that seals off around the hood, in the near future.
Be careful taking out the slop where the hose goes through the airbox. The space is there to let the hose move when the engine tilts around so it doesn't put the force on the throttle body and the plastic intake manifold. If it is unable to move it will end up breaking your throttle body or your intake manifold. The space was left there for a reason.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:02 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

nice i plan on doin one soon

Old 08-11-2007, 01:08 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice install...

He should not have any problems with the motor movement when he installs a gasket around the air box as long as it is flexible. I did the same thing on my 2000 5.9 QC install...

Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

ORIGINAL: HighDuke1911

Nice!! I like the step-by-step photos! Does the truck sound better now and run much stronger?
Either I need to get my hearing checked, probably, or those that "hear" a difference need to have their head examined.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

ORIGINAL: BLACKTRX4

ORIGINAL: Pirata

The kit was really easy to install. The instructions included step by step pics along the way. I will admit being a little intimidated by the instruction because they included like 30 some odd steps however each step was only one thing to do rather than 4 different things to do within each step like I am used to. As far as I can see the only thing I am not thrilled about is where the hose goes through the cold air box. There is a space of about 1" at the top for hot engine air to enter. I am planning on adding a gasket, similar to the gasket that seals off around the hood, in the near future.
Be careful taking out the slop where the hose goes through the airbox. The space is there to let the hose move when the engine tilts around so it doesn't put the force on the throttle body and the plastic intake manifold. If it is unable to move it will end up breaking your throttle body or your intake manifold. The space was left there for a reason.
So noted. Perhaps I will use a low density foam that will seal but allow it to move nearly as much as before.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

I know it's a littler early to ask, but any performance gains?
None, Slight, Fair, Great?

It sure looked great installed.

Here is a pic of some high density foam I am using for padding but might work.

The white piece we use to call Elephant Skin (A bench stock item) it came inwhite or black 1" thick, can't remember the actual milspec. Man I wish I still had access to bench stock LoL.

The blue stuff I got from wal mart in the camping section 20" x 72" and is 1/2" thick (under $6)

You might havegood stuffat your bench stock.Say if you needed to sink some tools or equipmentinto a specific drawer or case, you might have enough scrap left over to make your seal.

[IMG]local://upfiles/59926/D48CE50CAE404CEEBCEC5A4194A54231.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: K&N CAI Installed