3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Love it.
56.76%
Hate it.
5.41%
Whatever, it's not a dodge so who cares?
37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

doge hemi vs. chevy 427

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: doge hemi vs.chevy 427

My friend posted that on my myspace a month ago... He did some research and ended up telling me the truck isn't coming out. So no worries guys!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 AM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

what source did he get this information from. automobile manufacturers in general are very secretive about prodotype vehicles that will potentily be slated for production. that's a current generation chevy there. when manufactures go through the trouble of making a full scale production vehicle it is generaly to gauge the publics reception of the vehicle. May not be produced in the next year or so, but i definately would not rule it out. Sport trucks are hot right now. Chevy's history with them dates back a while now.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ttuguy1983

Why does everyone hate gm so much? Dodge and gm are of the same origin. Dodge (mopar) originally supplied gm with motors and parts. most notibley oldsmobile. I would buy the chevy 427 personally if dodge didnt step up to the plate. Like it or not the 427 is a beast. If it was a ford on the other hand i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Why do I hate GM so much? Well, an '88 Chevy truck that if it was an airplane, it would've been called a hangar queen. That "truck" came with passenger car tires and brakes, an air conditioner that drained INTO the cab. It went through belts like candy. The inside linkage for the doors broke repeatedly and the instruments were so badly grounded, they failed often. I could count on it to NOT start at least once a week. How 'bout an '86 Olds Cutlass that lost 80% of its value in only two years. Nope, I've had enough GM, an' I grew up in a home that was all GM. The only GM I might consider in the future would be a 'Vette, and it would be a toy, not serious transportation.

The flipside is a Dodge Ram 2500 wagon that finally gave it up at 183K miles, an '01 Ram RCSB that is still running strong at 92K. My wife's 300C that is a true blast to drive, and my '03 QCSB with a Hemi and 87K miles with just routine if not regular maintenance.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:52 AM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

i owned an explorer that ran to 300, 000. i'm by far not a ford fan because of it. I't was the worst sprur of the moment purchase i ever made. everything but the motor on it had to be replaced several times. when i got rid of it the motor was still running strong. had a lifter knock at start up, but that ws about it. the trany going for the third time in 2 years is what caused me to junk it. Im ashamed that i ever owned a ford. you guys will have to forgive me. On the other hand, I also owned a 91 silverado. Never had a major problem out of it. Had to replace the radiator on it. tht was it.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM
motorider228
Champion

I think brand loyalty is dumb. Buying one brand because you truly like it is fine but not buying a superior vehicle because it is brand X is stupid. The fact of the matter is that with a capable driver that truck would probably hand any performance vehicle dodge makes or has made its *** with exclusionof the viper.

As for reliability, I think it depends on the vehicle. My girlfriend drives a 1994 chevy 2500 4x4 with the 308. It has 155K on the clock but the truck is in amazing condition and runs excellent. It was a work truck for the grading company her dad is a foreman for before she got it as well so it was not babied. I really do just think it depends on the vehicle and how well it was maintaned.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
topcop38
Professional

i am a chevy guy to the core but i couldn't afford a brand new vehicle until i came across this deal on my ram with the employee choice price plus the $6000 rebate. kinda hard to pass up.
my last truck (up for sale now) is a '96 GMC 4x4 1/2 ton x-cab 5.7L with 144,000 miles. it gets better mileage than my '07 ram 4.7 and rides just as good. also is just as dependable (just doesn't look quite as good). i haven't had any problems with it except a bad fuel pump 2 years ago.
as an ex drag racer i will say that them chevys run. i had a 650hp 454 and a 552hp 393 small block.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: motorider228

I think brand loyalty is dumb. Buying one brand because you truly like it is fine but not buying a superior vehicle because it is brand X is stupid. The fact of the matter is that with a capable driver that truck would probably hand any performance vehicle dodge makes or has made its *** with exclusionof the viper.

As for reliability, I think it depends on the vehicle. My girlfriend drives a 1994 chevy 2500 4x4 with the 308. It has 155K on the clock but the truck is in amazing condition and runs excellent. It was a work truck for the grading company her dad is a foreman for before she got it as well so it was not babied. I really do just think it depends on the vehicle and how well it was maintaned.
VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!!!

First off, that truck is simply bad ***......not since the SRT-10 has another truck come close to looking that good...

Having said that, every vehicle is different. I've had great luck with both Dodge & GM, horrible luck with Mercury (Ford). The reality is that because our vehicles are made on assembly lines, defects and problems happen. Some are defective by design, like the transmission that went into my Beretta, others are simply line defects, like a bad seal or cracked part. Not every car is the same, and two people can totally drive a car a different way and cause it to live longer or die sooner.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:37 PM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

i agree totally with the last 3 post. sme may call me a trater, but i'd hand over my rams keys for that truck.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:35 AM
2003V10Ram

Every Chevy I've owned has been awsome. My current truck had everything I was looking for at a good price so I bought the Ram. If not for that I would have stayed GM. Had a Ford F150 once and I couldn't wait til the day I sold it.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: doge hemi vs. chevy 427

ORIGINAL: ttuguy1983

Guys i ran across this on you tube a few days ago. I was speechless. I hope chevy produces this truck so it'll force dodge to bring back the big boy hemi's of the past. I dont know about the rest of you guys, but i'd love to see a 7+ liter hemi slated for production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1Xd...ed&search=

what do you guys think? Our hemi's are tough, but that thing sounds mean. Probably no need to worry though. I don't think chevy has the ***** to go through with it. But on the other hand if they did and it was an overhead cam 32 valve 427 i'd give a conservative estimate of about 400-450 hp at the wheels and over 500ft/lbs of torque.
Screw the chevy 427 I'll keep my 427 side oiler Ford.

Quick Reply: doge hemi vs. chevy 427