3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Finally got my new exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Big#44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally got my new exhaust!!

Just thought id post a little update

So i think i finally figured out a way to get it to sound good. And i just had to waste a couple hundred bucks in stuff i dont need. basically before my exhaust sounded good, but once it hits that 3500 rpm mark, theres a noise like a duck quacking or something. lol.

So what i did the other day, was take all my pipes off and replace them with turn down tips. so now i have the turn down tips coming right out of the muffler and it is essentially "dumped".its loud at idle and when you rev it, it sounds as good as any v8, and no duck quacking. I do havea flowmaster super 44, which is the most aggressive flowmaster. In theory i could replace it with a less agressive muffler such as the delta 40 or super 40, and it would tame it a little more. i may do that later because while it sounds good it is pretty loud. id say a step or 2 under what it sounds like with no muffler. its very raw and aggressive. so i might end up trying another muffler to see if i can get a more refined sound.so.....

just thought id share, any thoughts, opinions?? i might go video record it and put on youtube soon.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 PM
eltupac
All Star

That's what I did. I have sound posted on this site www. dodge talk .com remove spaces. Search for my user name, same name as here and you'll see my sound clips. I did the 50 and 40 dumped and 40 dual out. They all sounded like crap to me. Its very different to hear them from outside, than from inside. Inside I could swear I was on big as engine, the way it sounded. When I was outside and I would hear my wife drive away, I was like, "man I have to get rid of those". I wish you guys would post your sound clips, and unfortunately this site does not do sound.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Big#44
Professional

i took the flowmaster off. i spent 40 bucks and got a dynomax super turbo. well worth the money!!! i just have the mufflerno piping after it, so its dumped. has a nice purrr, at idle and when you open it doesnt get crazy loud, but it sounds like a performer if that makes sense. no weird noises, and i actually noticed a 3-4 mpg gain!! im thinking about the other which is straight through, and it claims it gets better flow, so we'll see how that goes.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:51 PM
06RamSRT6Night

Sorry for the late reply. I do notice a great difference but only with good fuel. Wawa gas and other non-brand name fuels which are taking over this area don't do any justice so without some time at the dyno I can't supply you with specs. I will update you when I get to the speed shop for true results.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Big#44
Professional

good to hear that the stage 1 does something. do you mean better gas as in "gas station", or better gas as in higher octane?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
06RamSRT6Night

Octane and quality of fuel are both important. Current price of good fuel in delaware county costs me $3.65 per gallon for 94 octane with a 10% ethanol mixture. Places that are not name brand are as we say "bottom of the barrel". Plan on changing your fuel filter every 8,000 miles. Also I notice a fuel milage increase. Around town its about a 2-4 mpg gain depending on my driving. Highway its a 5-7 mpg gain.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Big#44
Professional

wow big gains!!! what mileage you get overall??? and yeah i change my fuel filter every oil change so 3000 miles.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Big#44
Professional

ORIGINAL: HemiJr3.7

i think its worth it but i modifyied my intake a little the k&n intake system for the rams come with a heat sheild to block out hot air well there was some discusion about the intake pulling in more hot air then cold air so i bought this vent that attaches on the right side next to the radiator behind the grill and ran a three inch hose to and through the heat sheild like ram air so the ram air is feeding the k&n filter and intake and the electric supercharger is drawling the air into the intake its hard to explain.
you got any pics? that sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: Finally got my new exhaust!!