3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory Flash to remove MDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Iceman344
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Flash to remove MDS

I read somewherethat your dealership has a flash to remove your mds....im not sure about this...if so has anybody triedit with their dealership.Also does anybody have an affordable cam mod for the 5.7L that will disable the mds and give some hp gains..I want the safest setup for the engine...I have read many post on the subjectsbut everybody seems to agree the 6.1 cam is not recommended for the 5.7 Im confused with all the info...can someone give me info thats educatedfacts and nothear say. The info I have gotten so far has been dead on with you guys and look forward to all your knowledge.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Factory Flash to remove MDS

Non-MDS Conversion kit for the MDS vehicles to run higher RPM and cam lift over .500" Includes non MDS lifters, MDS core plugs, head gaskets and custom flash to remove the MDS code in the engine controller. 6000-7000 rpm capability.
$649 with programming

Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea its a lot more than just a flash and i dont see why it would be worth it.... i think its a pretty good feature to save some cash.... but if i had it i would probaly feel differently...

Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Iceman344

Its an ok feature....but like one said in another post...its meant for sedans and possibly suv, but not a full size truck...and especially not in a hemi. Thebenefits of a few more miles per gallonare not enough to put up withthe headache of all the shortfalls..ie exhaust drone, constant shifting in and out 4-8 mode.Its no secretthe hemi drinks gas....along with any other v8 on the market....so why would anybody get a hemi hoping to get great gas milage. I got the hemi with one thing in mind..and that was performance and the ability to mod a great engine. InsteadI have this half breed engine that cant decide onpitbull orpoodle mode. Anyway...I will sit back and wait till some engineer comes up with a way to disengage the 4 mode safely without tearing my engine up. Thanks for all the help guysand questions answered.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, a lotta people like the feature, but I for one have an '04 without it and am glad. I bought a TRUCK, and a 4x4 no less, with a HEMI. I'd also like the ability to go to a more aggressive cam, and the MDS feature does not allow for it. I'll not get a new 1500 because I don't want it. When I sell or trade this one in another year or two, my plan is to get a CTD 4x4, but if I can't swing it, then I'll get a 2500 with Hemi. Hopefully Chrysler will leave the Hemi in the 2500 like it is, or maybe put a 6.1 in it by then.
The Cummins for the 1500 may be out by then too, but I think this will be my last IFS truck also, I've never had an issue with my front end, but I go off-road a lot, and my weak *** IFS is always on my mind, so I'm sure my next truck will be a 3/4 ton.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Iceman344

Its an ok feature....but like one said in another post...its meant for sedans and possibly suv, but not a full size truck...and especially not in a hemi. Thebenefits of a few more miles per gallonare not enough to put up withthe headache of all the shortfalls..ie exhaust drone, constant shifting in and out 4-8 mode.Its no secretthe hemi drinks gas....along with any other v8 on the market....so why would anybody get a hemi hoping to get great gas milage. I got the hemi with one thing in mind..and that was performance and the ability to mod a great engine. InsteadI have this half breed engine that cant decide onpitbull orpoodle mode. Anyway...I will sit back and wait till some engineer comes up with a way to disengage the 4 mode safely without tearing my engine up. Thanks for all the help guysand questions answered.
Sounds like you have a little ***** envy. MDS drone, with the stock exhaust more often than not most peoplecan't hear or feel when it switches. Constant shifting between 4 and 8? It does not shift to 4 unless you've reached a point where you are at a constant speed with little load on the engine. Maybe it's your driving causing this because I drove 2000 miles to Yellowstone this summer and 2000 miles back. During that entire distance on the freeway I never noticed excessive shifting and I can distinctly hear the shift betweenn 4 and 8 with my flowmaster super 40.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 PM
danelizer

Sounds like you have a little ***** envy.
[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 10-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Iceman344

Why would i have envy over a little *****....you can keep yours to yourself bro. Im gonna stick to the truck conversations and you can keep talking abouthow your ***** is small.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

alright guys thats enough of that this is a dodge forum not a ***** forum

Old 10-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Iceman344

Why would i have envy over a little *****
Denial...

Since you're denying the ***** envy here's another question, why did you buy an MDS Dodge Ram if you disliked it so much? Why didn't you buy a used non MDS ram?

Quick Reply: Factory Flash to remove MDS