3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying a new 08

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
nathan_e
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new 08

I am thinking about buying an 08 Ram quad cab sport package with the hemi. I am interested in the MDS. Can you still speed up and slow down while it is on as you can in cruise control? Also does the hemi come in a flex fuel? I'm leanging at the Dodge, but the Tundra is kinda grabbing my attention a little as well, but I don't like the interior as much. Any help on my decision?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
austin
Veteran
Default RE: Buying a new 08

Well the Tundra is a "full size truck" but they have wayyy to many problems. One thing I don't like is that it just drives like a car. Another thing is that you can't put more than 400 pounds on the tailgate without it breaking and bending your bed. Toyota's have went to crap... Not worth anything IMHO. We have a couple people a week coming on this forum alone looking at trading in there brand new Tundras to get a real truck, Dodge Ram...

The Dodge is sturdy, rough, and tough! Trust me, you won't regret going with it!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Ben D.
Champion

The MDS from what I have come to understand is pretty much unnoticable. It will kickin when ur just cruising but when you need to speed up you get all eight cylinders driving you down the road. but I don't have a hemi so this is just from reading.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With factory exhaust you'll never notice the MDS kick in or out. From what I've read, once you're at cruising speed as long as you don't go over 15% on the accelerator is stays in MDS mode, but like I said, I have factory exhaust as of now and can't tell you when the MDS is in or out. As far as the Tundra, do some google searches on Tundra problems. I was looking at them too until my company bought one and I had first hand driving experience with them, to me they aren't much of a truck, not as SOLID as the Rams. Also the gas mileage is worse on our company Tundra than my Hemi. My sticker said 15 city 18 highway, and I average about 13. The Tundra's sticker said 17 city 19 hwy, it averages around 12.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

I have MDS and an aftermarket exhaust. I can tell you I notice the MDS sound around town but not on the highway..... of course I cruise the interstate at 15 over the speed limit usually

Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 AM
manualagain
Professional

Flex fuel is only in 4.7.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

dude dont let these commercials fool you the tundra is not worth the rediculously over priced sticker they say it is..... i've heard nothing but bad things about them... its more of a car then a truck it gets way worse gas mileage than they advertise and its a very light duty truck

Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 AM
nathan_e
Rookie

Thanks for all the great feedback, please keep it coming. I am going to get an aftermarket exhaust and a CAI. What kind of sound are you getting when the MDS kicks in? And how noticible is it? I've also seem posts about noticable shifting when it has engaged? I know there are plenty of things to love about 07 and above, what are some of the things you don't like about it, and what kind of milage are you getting?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

told you to post it in this section......... as far as sound when mds kicks in i heard everything from crap to a harley... i mean it all depends on what you think... i also heard that it only kicks in when your cruising at the same speed for a while and when you hit it the 8 cylinder comes back to play! i have an 03 2500 so i dont know too much about mds and their gas mileage but im sure more people will chime in for ya!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaving thre resonators in place you will barely notice the mds kick in. With the resonators removed you WILL notice the change. The sound will change to, as pappy put it, a harley like sound when cruising. It will stay in mds mode if you lightly push the accelerator or are on a slight grade or slight resistance in cruise control. I get into mds as slow as 30 mph once I get on the base since it is mostly flat and traffic generally flows smoothly. With my 07 I get about 14 in the city and 23 on the highway, granted I have a few fuel saving mods, 180 t-stat, superchips tuner and K&N CAI.

As was stated above the hemi does not come ready to use flex fuel. The stock hemi is recomended to use 89 octane fuel. You can run 87 if 89 is unavailable. There are many members who use 87 in their trucks and I have heard of no one reporting an engine related fuel problem. The way I see it is you've just invested 30k on a truck (some members lower some higher) why are you going to skimp and save only 2-3 dollars from filling up an empty tank. SInce I put my superchips in my truck I now use the performance tune (91 octane fuel) and as a result I have about 14 more hp off the engine than before. Add another 10 for my CAI and now my hemi is putting out about 370 hp. I really do not notice the difference in using 91 octane fuel because every vehicle I have owned since high school has been fed by 91 octane fuel.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Buying a new 08