3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaping without looking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:54 PM
ScottJ175
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leaping without looking.

I'll have to post my whole backstory later. Just got to the point I realized I needed a truck in my life and needed a 4 door (have a 2 year old son and 3 week old daughter).

Wound up selling my beloved 2001 SVT Cobra (I get attached to my cars like they're pets) to make room in the budget for the truck. Sold it the Monday after Labor Day and have been running around in the beater Galant I have less than $500 in.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Petz
Professional

can you even back out of an auto purchase if you were the one who came to the dealer and purchased the truck on your own will? I know that you have three days on door to door or purchases where the agent seeks you out but on own will purchases is that possible? Always interested in business law and case studies.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
JayH2112
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, some of you may laugh at me for this. But honestly, look on ebay.I was looking on there for awhile beforeI found one close for a little more than I saw them on there for. I live in Idaho also and bought my Subaru Legacy GT from NY, it has been a great car. I could have bought a truck similiar to mine for anywhere from $9,500-$13,000. I got lucky and ended up getting mine for $11,500 (they wanted $13,000). You can have it shipped for around $800-$1300. Really is a pretty easy process.

So basically,it sounds like you could find a truck for possibly $2,000-$4,000+ less, shipped to you.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:52 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

ORIGINAL: Petz
can you even back out of an auto purchase if you were the one who came to the dealer and purchased the truck on your own will?
AFAIK in Alabama you have 3 days to back out of ANY contract no matter if you initiated the deal or not.

It's called right of rescission and differes from state to state.

Some states only apply it to real estate.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

ORIGINAL: JayH2112
Well, some of you may laugh at me for this. But honestly, look on ebay.
Great deals to be had on Ebay if you're in a position to pay cash (or have a very good relationship with a lender).

I unfortunately have neither for a purchase this size.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

Update. I think I'm OK on the axle. Added 4oz of friction modifier to the diff last night and this morning it made no noise. Even in tight, low speed turns in my office parking lot (which suddenly seems much smaller).

So, even though I didn't get a killer deal I think I'll keep her.

As a side note I found the rubber plug in the diff cover to be a bit cheesy. I'll probably upgrade to a cover with screw-in plug eventually.

After doing the friction modifier I checked the fluids in the transmission and transfer case. They were both properly filled and clean as could be. Since the engine oil is that clean I'm guessing the dealership changed all the lubricants befrore putting it on the lot. I may get them to send me the service record so I know exactly what was done.

For those interested I posted pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottj175/(excuse the mess in the garage, I need to do some organizing).

I know the bed is a bit beaten but I plan on doing a spray-in liner eventually. I was also disappointed that I came up just a foot shy of getting her in the garage without pushing the Alfa that's waiting on me to replace the clutch outside.

[IMG]local://upfiles/77127/F3E7D43F7E16402CACA18DFF8D45BD9E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, JayH2112 is no longer allowed here since he's got a Subaru - especially something as boring as a Legacy.

Oh, wait a minute, my truck also has a car it shares my driveway with:

What are the odds that people would pick not only the same car but the same truck too?!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

ORIGINAL: John M
What are the odds that people would pick not only the same car but the same truck too?!
Huh? The car in the other bay is my wife's 2002 Audi A4. I've never owned a Subie. Almost talked myself into a WRX when they were introduced but wound up deciding on a Mustang GT (that got traded on the Cobra later).

Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: John M

Well, JayH2112 is no longer allowed here since he's got a Subaru - especially something as boring as a Legacy.

Oh, wait a minute, my truck also has a car it shares my driveway with:

Man, if I could still drive a standard transmission I would own a Subaru. I love the Outback Limiteds. I tried talking my wife into one instead of her XTerra, but it's almost paid off and I don't think she's wanting to have payments again for the next 5 years!

My brother in law has an Audi S4. I used to have a VW Jetta (same platform) with a VR6 and 6 spd trans. His S4 would blow my Jetta away, but he had just as many (if not more) problems with his Audi as I did with my Jetta. I traded the Jetta in on the Ram back in '05. He's still got the S4...and paying for it.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

ORIGINAL: Chet Ubetcha
if I could still drive a standard transmission I would own a Subaru.
Did you blow out your left knee? It really is like riding a bike. You don't forget.

Quick Reply: Leaping without looking.