3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Heated mirror but no rear defrost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
sddunn2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heated mirror but no rear defrost?

I went to the dodge site and you can make a truck with the sliding rear window have the rear defrost . you can not have the power rear window with defrost ?? go figure

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sddunn2

I went to the dodge site and you can make a truck with the sliding rear window have the rear defrost . you can not have the power rear window with defrost ?? go figure
Thanks! I know i wasn't crazy...

Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Weird - I have heated mirrors and solid rear window without defrost. I was thinking about installing it.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HemiLonestar

Weird - I have heated mirrors and solid rear window without defrost. I was thinking about installing it.
I guess i was lucky, to have the rear defrost on my vehicle, then.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

and how would you go about doing that ... sounds like something i'd like to add on as well

Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 AM
ScottJ175
Professional

ORIGINAL: PyRoHAvoC
and how would you go about doing that ... sounds like something i'd like to add on as well
You'd have to change the back glass as far as I know. Have no idea if the wiring would be there.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 PM
dodge prof

As per the Dodge site and the dealership, when ordering a 2007 truck, the rear defrost is a separate option from the heated side mirrors. You can get the rear defrost ONLY on the single window (not the slider) and yes, the defrost makes the rear window have lines on it.

Regardless whether you have the heated side mirrors and/or the rear defrost, you activate these options from the same button (underneath the A/C button).

From what I can remember when ordering my 2004 1500 QC, it was the same situation back then.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: PyRoHAvoC

Found it in the parts manual, the fun part would be installing the glass, then looking to see if an unused pigtail is back there. If not, then having to run the cable up to the harness behind the dash. Its not cheap and somewhat involved, which is probably why I haven't done it.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 PM
chuck1252

REAR DEFOGGER ADDED TO MY TRUCK - Standard configuration in CA was for the rear passenger windows to be tinted and the rear one piece (no slider) to be the same tint as the front side windows (light green tint) but not the privacy tint. My 2003 QCSB 4X4 4.7 SLT came with heated mirrors and power drivers seat (more on this later) but no tinted rear window or rear defogger. I had the rear window broken and the replacement OEM glass put in is a tinted with defogger. However there were no wires to connect to the new defogger as that was not originally an installed option on my truck. After a lot of searching I found there was already a 25 Amp fuse installed in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment for the rear window defogger. There is also a relay socket (empty) specified for the rear window defogger which is pre-wired and ready for the relay to be installed. I bought a relay from the dealer (about $17.00) and installed it. I used a toner and probe to find where the load wire from the relay went. I found it stops at a blade connector located next to the drivers power seat (part of the wiring harness). I installed a 12 ga. wire form there to the blade connector on the drivers side rear window defogger. I then ran a 12 ga. wire from the passengers side blade connector to a ring connector that I screwed into the body on the side of the back seat raised floor pan under the trim. The heated mirror button is really a defogger button and in fact controls both the mirrors and rear defogger as per factory design. I tested the installation and it works great. Use a low voltage DC meter and connect one lead to ground. You should get battery voltage on the driverā€™s side terminal (when turned on) and almost zero volts on the passenger side. If you take a piece of aluminum foil and use it as an extension of your meter test probe wont damage the defogger element) you can test each line if you want to and in the middle you should get 6 Volts. By the way it is also possible to fix a scratched/cut place on a line if that ever becomes an issue. Method can be found using a web search engine Bottom line you can add a rear window defogger and tinted window if you really want to and it isnt all that hard or expensive. I really wanted the tinted window the defogger was just an added bonus (not really needed).

Last edited by chuck1252; 08-09-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
jeffstoy

I want to put heated glass in my used 07 Ram. Mopar and aftermarket sources only list the heated backlite with privacy tint. I assume the side windows were tinted to match if you ordered that option. My glass isn't tinted. As chuck1252 stated ,most of the wiring is there if you have heated side mirrors. I do. The glass is $284 from on line glass guys and over $400 from the best on line mopar guys. the question is: will a privacy tinted backlite look lousy with untinted side windows. I dont want privacy I want to see . Does anybody know how this option was packaged in 07?

Quick Reply: Heated mirror but no rear defrost?