3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hacking my Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
ScottJ175
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hacking my Ram?

So, with an Audi one of the essential things to have is an OBD II to USB cable and the Vag-Com computer software so you can pull codes and make configuration changes to your car.

Is there similar software for the 3rd Gen Ram?

One of the first things I want to do is add remote keyless (a feature I never realized I couldn't live without unitl I had it) and it sure would be nice not to have to cough up an hours labor to the dealership for 10 minutes at a keyboard. Plus I'd have the software for future use.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Default RE: Hacking my Ram?

Is there similar software for the 3rd Gen Ram?

No!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrysler did their absolute best to make modifying the engine & body computer code impossible. That's why it takes Superchips and other programmers so long to come out with custom tunes each time something changes in the code. I don't think anyone has tried to emulate the dealer tool that lets you change other customizable options.

I run a full open-source ECU tuning setup on my Subaru. There's nothing like having complete control over what happens and when, and without having to pay a fortune for the "privilege" of someone else doing it for you. All it cost me was the $75ish for the cable.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 PM
manogmin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have sen one in my dreams, but in reality no. boy would it be awesome if there was tho.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

hehe...i got the software on my comp that i can do the stuff your wanting to do...however, there is no possible way that i can give it to you....thinkin that would be grounds for immediate firing lol...but no, there's nothing out quite yet to do that...keep an eye on SCT tuners, they are working on something that is going to be very interesting with these trucks

Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 AM
ScottJ175
Professional

hehe...i got the software on my comp that i can do the stuff your wanting to do...however, there is no possible way that i can give it to you....thinkin that would be grounds for immediate firing lol
So, are you a Dodge service tech? If so how much labor time would be charged to activate remote keyless if I installed the module myself? Just trying to work out a budget. I've found a kit for $85 and want to get an idea of how much the programming will cost.

https://www.authenticdodge.com/produ...fb1bde1c23b4d3

Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

no, i am no longer a tech (was a tech for 2 yrs). Now I work at the Chrysler Tech Center doing software testing for the new vehicles and also the testing & writing of flashes for the Cummins PCM & TCM...they would prolly charge you the std 1 hr diag fee....which depending on where ya live could be anywhere from $60 up to $110+ per hr, but they should only charge ya for 1 hr

Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow
they would prolly charge you the std 1 hr diag fee....which depending on where ya live could be anywhere from $60 up to $110+ per hr, but they should only charge ya for 1 hr
Thanks. That was all I was hoping it would be.

I'll eyeball the shop labor rates when I go visit to pull the service history for the truck and buy the missing red reflector in the passenger door I just noticed was missing the other day.

Thought about pestering the dealer for it but I did buy the truck "as is" outisde of the 7/70 powertrain warranty. I'm trying to get them to cough up an owner's manual. Sent an e-mail Monday and haven't heard back yet.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 PM
flwalks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check out the dealer for the whole thing. My dealer installed it (Remote entry)on my 2002 QC in 2003 and it cost me $125 and 1 hr.,out the door. Hope this helps!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick Reply: Hacking my Ram?