3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Payment???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007 | 11:59 PM
sspp
Professional
Default RE: Truck Payment???

Definitely get outside financing and negotiate a cash price with trade-in deducted from msrp, but don't tell them that you have outside financing until you settle the final price. Gives the dealer less wiggle roomand theywill behoping to add points to the financing. It's very common, especially with Chrysler Financial. I fell into this trap once and learned my lesson. Also, take KBB and Edmunds.com trade-in pricing value quotes and be prepared to walk away if need be.

Old 11-14-2007 | 01:48 AM
JayH2112
Veteran

The biggest thing I recommend is if at all possible, sell your current truck yourself.

Also, shop around for a good interest rate. I got a 6.5% on my '02, on 48 months.

Like said above, don't let them talk you into the payment BS. Find out what the dollar amount is gonnabe and stick to getting the price down, not the payment.

Old 11-14-2007 | 05:48 AM
Hemiriden
|
Professional

ORIGINAL: JayH2112

The biggest thing I recommend is if at all possible, sell your current truck yourself.

Also, shop around for a good interest rate. I got a 6.5% on my '02, on 48 months.

Like said above, don't let them talk you into the payment BS. Find out what the dollar amount is gonnabe and stick to getting the price down, not the payment.
Yea i fell in that paymenttrap..luckily i was able to walk away. Intrest rates have gone up across the board. My current loan is from BofA at 6.5%... Litteraly going to BofA for another one brings me in at 8.0% now.... they said rates have gone up everywhere for auto loans....

Old 11-14-2007 | 08:14 AM
Tailbuster
Rookie

Dont forget, dealers dont factor your trade based on KBB, they use the Black Book which is always lower than what KBB says. The fact of the matter is you have alot of negative equity. If you took that away you are getting a good deal, but the dealer just isnt going to eat that 10 grand. It has to go somewhere.

Old 11-14-2007 | 11:55 AM
BIG HOOK
Professional

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hemiriden

I'm curous, But this may be a touchy subject. What are you paying for your CTD? I went to the dealer and finally found a nice 2007 2500 5.9 6 speed manual 4x4 SLT. With trade they are saying my payment will be at 800 per month.... that is ALOT to me and was wondering if that was a good price or if they are ripping me.... the loan would be for 72 months...

That seems kind of high for a used Ram, even with the CTD. All the posters in this thread pretty much covered the variables with excellent advice. Focus on the final price, not payments.
Research your particular model truck/prices thoroughly. Walking into the dealership anally prepared knowing invoice truck/option costs, where you stand credit wise, will put you in total control of the purchase. Having competitive financing options makes them work harder for your business. If you're not in a hurry, consider ordering one from the factory. The dealership does not have to inventory it so it costs them nothing to get it for you unlike the trucks that are sitting there on the lot. They have to pay for those.
I ordered mine back in May for about 11k under the retail sticker cost of 34k plus i received a decent interest rate, 6%.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Truck Payment???