3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Payment???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:32 PM
Hemiriden
|
Professional
Default Truck Payment???

I'm curous, But this may be a touchy subject. What are you paying for your CTD? I went to the dealer and finally found a nice 2007 2500 5.9 6 speed manual 4x4 SLT. With trade they are saying my payment will be at 800 per month.... that is ALOT to me and was wondering if that was a good price or if they are ripping me.... the loan would be for 72 months...

Thanks for your input....

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:38 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Default RE: Truck Payment???

There are a ton of factors there. The diesels i have had, have been anwyhere from 300-600 a month. It all depends on downpayment, trade, interest etc. There is no standard amount to pay for any vehicle

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:45 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

800 * 72 is about 57 grand.....sounds like alot to me.....

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:46 PM
ScottJ175
Professional

You shouldn't be shopping payment anyway. You should shop total out the door price because that's your goal to pay off.

For example, I financed 72 months but made sure my purchase price was something I could probably pay off in 2-3 years.

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:52 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Don't shop by payment. The dealers love those customers. Shop solely by bottom line on the buyer's order. "Closing costs" are part of the landscape, these days. Some dealers are beginning to realize that's part of their job, though, and are beginning to include those. Most likely, it just raises the bottom line, however. Don't let them sell you a payment -- you're buying a truck. Except for my wife's 300C (and it was a demo), all vehicles bought in the last fifteen years have been used, and from the same source. If you're careful, you can get a used, even high-mileage truck for a really good price. I've been lucky on my last three purchases (all Dodges). I've gotten "lower than market" prices and they all lasted a long time with minimal problems.

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:57 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I bought my 2007 Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab SLT with a Cummins 5.9L for $32,000 ( Sticker was $44,900 ). They gave me the option of 14% interest and keep the $3500 rebate, or give the rebate back and take 7.9% interest. DUH!!!! I can't beleve they even ask that question!
Any way my final price was $35,500 + TTL with $2000 down and the 7.9% gives me a payment of $654 a month.
Also something you might want to try and it worked for me this time. Call the Dealership and tell them you are looking for an 07 Ram 4x4 diesle SLT Quad Cab and tell them a price you are wanting to pay. Explain to them you just had smoke blown up your *** by a nother dealer and you are pissed and will not take kindly to it happening again.
I did this and called 3 dealers in my area. I told them I was looking for one for $30,000 and that I knew there were a few out there for that price. If you have one, I'll buy it!!
All three called me back. 2 of them only had a 2 wheel drive model for that price and the third had a 4x4 for for $32,000. That was close enough for me and I went to work out the deal. Wound up being $35k but I still consider that a fair price. And it was the last 5.9L they had on the lot......whew!!
Let them know you are an *** hole up front and you won't have to deal with all the BS and if they know you won't buy for less than your offer, they will try to get as close to it as they can.

And yes $800 for 72 months sounds like you are paying FULL Sticker price for it. If you know a friend who has got a good deal on one, take his contract down with you and show them what you KNOW they can sell it for!!

Hope this helps and sorry for the swearing but It helped make my point.

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:58 PM
casper3380
Veteran

JD is right, interest rate, your credit score, trade in, incentives, they all contribute. Also, if the rate is a bit high, some dealerships will add points to the loan, making even more money, say boosting from 7.9 to 9.9, gives them a nice little return.

Old 11-13-2007 | 07:13 PM
Hemiriden
|
Professional

seems to me i left out a few KEY details.... I didn't know they were so important....

Sticker Price for the 2007 4x4 2500 SLT CTD QC Long Bed. 49,289 after dealer prep.
Options: Bed liner, Nerf Bard with Ram logo, Anti-Slip, Front Buckets w/ driver 6 way power, rear split bench, rear sliding window, 6 disc indash changer, 5.9 CTD w/6speed standard, Off road 17" Tires.

Trade: 1500 Hemi, KBB.com 14,985 (suggested trade-in value).Pay-off 23,687 Good thru 11/15.

Dealer wanted 3,000 Down and payment of 800/month. Credit is around 700 (+ or - 10 depending on which buero you check.)

Your posts say i'm paying 57k at that price and it would fit.... sticker 49k - 3 down. 46k, + neg equity 10k, 56,000 Financed..... (800 x 72= 57,600)didn't really look at it like that until now... I'd be paying FULL STICKER!!! Plus TTL... They were trying to take me for everything.... Thanks SO MUCH for your input....

EDIT: Forgot to account for intrest. 800x 12 = 9,600 yr paid - 8.5% intrest (816) = 8,784 yr paid x 6 years = 52,704 actual cost. So i'd be paying 52,704 out the door. That is New truck, ttl, andtrade neg equity.... is it still good... well 42,704 for an out model originally 46,289.... (49k-3 down)... they are giving me a discount of 3,585 off the truck's sticker.... not that much considering it is a definate OUT MODEL truck...

Old 11-13-2007 | 07:28 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

Few years back found an awesome website that tells you tips for buying and scams (see scotch guard or VIN etching... note VIN etching is good but go to the site and they discuss the fact that you can do it for like 30 bucks yourself). Also gives a good calculator and budget program to see how much total you are paing and how much you can afford.

www.carbuyingtips.com

Old 11-13-2007 | 07:42 PM
Hemiriden
|
Professional

ORIGINAL: SWOS Chief

Few years back found an awesome website that tells you tips for buying and scams (see scotch guard or VIN etching... note VIN etching is good but go to the site and they discuss the fact that you can do it for like 30 bucks yourself). Also gives a good calculator and budget program to see how much total you are paing and how much you can afford.

www.carbuyingtips.com

THANKS for the site.... i downloaded the offer excel spreadsheet and will take it to all the dealers in orlando florida area... ( I will NOT actually show them... i will find the truck i want put in the info and see what comes up. I have a laptop so i will take it and leave it in my truck and take writen notes and fill in the spreadsheet without there knowledge) OH ... I never "give" them my keys... if they need to see my truck i can unlock it... if they need to drive it i do a ride along... PERIOD... i will not give my keys up... There sales person has to be with me on MY test drive... i will be with them on theirs.... learned that one a long time ago.... I"M SO GLAD i came on here and talked things over... i'm so much wiser about the situation and where i really need to be...

Quick Reply: Truck Payment???