3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrade Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:45 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Upgrade Intake?

ORIGINAL: MoparRob
Just to play devils advocate... We all KNOW that CAI help in performance, and fuel economy. So why arent the manufacturers putting a few bucks into that??? I am not trying to say that the tornado or TBs will do anything.... But that sort of rationalization is not always correct.
A number of manufacturers do recognize the CAI's benefits - they sell them for an arm and a leg over the parts counters. Why include it for free, when they can gouge you for a few hundred moreafter the sale?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it's for the same reason that automotive manufacturers don't sell vehicles with a better flowing exhaust, it's got a lot to do with emissions.
I'm also told by an engine performance guru that the reason why trucks are shipping with crazy low gear ratio's like 3.55 in a full size, QC truck is for emissions testing. The lower an engines rpm's at a given speed, the lower the emissions.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MoparRob
Just to play devils advocate... We all KNOW that CAI help in performance, and fuel economy. So why arent the manufacturers putting a few bucks into that??? I am not trying to say that the tornado or TBs will do anything.... But that sort of rationalization is not always correct.
I think along with emissions it has a lot to do with noise. The majority of people (besides us gearheads) seem to want everything quiet...from the engine to the cab and exhaust. A CAI is a lot louder then the stock setup as you know....way too many people that don't mod vehicles would complain. And like the other guy said...why sell it with the truck when you can rape'em in the aftermarket.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:15 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pinks has been a fairly successful TV program
drawing viewers
and advertisers.

Perhaps we should have a Pinks for MPG
where you show up with your CAI
run a careful MPG test with another truck following you
and then on a 2nd run the CAI is transfered over to the other truck
and your truck gets fitted with the stock air intake.

I wonder how many
would risk losing their truck this way?

Of course,
the wise owner will have already run this MPG test on his own,
just like the guys on Pinks
have done many careful quartermile runs
with high precison timers
on a level track
with wind speed indicators and
a barometer
all for correction of times.

The big profits from the sale of aftermarket intakes
is made possible by the ignorance of the buyers,
but no one needs to stay ignorant...especially today.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
ja9to
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i know bikes and i know jet engines but cars and trucks are new to me. every vehicle sent to the country or made here is tuned down and bogged to hell cause of emissions. so i agree as to why manufacturers wouldnt put upgrades on every vehicle. and as for the throttle body spacer.... on jet engines we use IGV's ( inlet guide vanes) to direct air for better compression, so i assumed the same rules would apply. but i can be wrong cause this is a truck not a jet engine. and as for the sound you get from the CAI..... i love it!!!! thanks guys.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you havent figured it out yet JA9TO Hank L is long winded and full of **** as a christmas turkey.

Since you know jets, lets take you basic J57. If the inlet air had to make 2 or 3 90 degree bends before entering the nacell, would the engine run as efficiently?

Quick Reply: Upgrade Intake?