3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrade Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Juice1186
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Intake?

Ok I just got my 5.7 Hemi about a week ago and im not new to forums but new to this one of course.... I want to ask what would be the best buy for an intake for this truck? Good performance, price, etc.... Thanks!

Jose

Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Default RE: Upgrade Intake?

The thing that i've noticed about the intake on the hemi is that the factory silencerkinda acts as a manifold cover...it says 5.7 hemi on it and somewhat cleans up the engine.Removing it exposes the manifold and it looks like butt...I dunno if there's a aftermarket cover that'll work with a CAI.

On a side note the best filters that i've used in the past are synthetic filters and not the oil kind...like AEM's dry flow filters that come on their CAI's.
Also remember that the hemi is a speed density setup...so IMO you'll want a tune for even the simple mods.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Juice1186

ORIGINAL: SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

The thing that i've noticed about the intake on the hemi is that the factory silencerkinda acts as a manifold cover...it says 5.7 hemi on it and somewhat cleans up the engine.Removing it exposes the manifold and it looks like butt...I dunno if there's a aftermarket cover that'll work with a CAI.

On a side note the best filters that i've used in the past are synthetic filters and not the oil kind...like AEM's dry flow filters that come on their CAI's.
Also remember that the hemi is a speed density setup...so IMO you'll want a tune for even the simple mods.
I can see that I have a lot to learn about this truck.... I was thinking of buying the AirAid Kit with the tube and filter including the throttle body spacer..... Thanks for the opinion[sm=smiley20.gif].... Anyone have Exp. with the AirAid kits? Or any other kits you can post on....

Jose

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Hi Juice,
I'd do a search on Throttle Body Spacerand readpeoples opinionsabout TBS and daHemi.

Welcome to da forums if I haven't told you already.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
ja9to

I wanted to upgrade my intake after my friend put a K&N intake on his Silverado, so i look around and the best I found was the K&N FIPK kit. I went to Summit racing and found one for $280 with free shipping, thats $70 cheaper than the cost on K&N's website plus the cost of shipping. After i installed it I was amazed at much louder it was and the quick pick up I noticed was awsome. As for the computer on the truck.... as with all new vehicles, its self learning and wont effect the performance of your truck!!!! My next upgrade will be a throttle body spacer and if you look for one that is grooved inside (it looks like a spiral) it will help with airflow into your engine making for a nice performance upgrade. hope this was helpful.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
ja9to

As for the look in the engine...... that factory box looks like crap and once the cold air intake is installed it looks alot cleaner and sporty. everyone ive shown my truck to loves the new improvment!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ja9to

I wanted to upgrade my intake after my friend put a K&N intake on his Silverado, so i look around and the best I found was the K&N FIPK kit. I went to Summit racing and found one for $280 with free shipping, thats $70 cheaper than the cost on K&N's website plus the cost of shipping. After i installed it I was amazed at much louder it was and the quick pick up I noticed was awsome. As for the computer on the truck.... as with all new vehicles, its self learning and wont effect the performance of your truck!!!! My next upgrade will be a throttle body spacer and if you look for one that is grooved inside (it looks like a spiral) it will help with airflow into your engine making for a nice performance upgrade. hope this was helpful.
A throttle body spacer on a dry manifold setup is pointless and a waste of money. The spirals are nothing but a gimmick...by the time the air goes through the intake runners, in the heads and into the cylinders it's just as turbulent as it was in the throttle body. Now on a wet manifold like a carb or TBI a spacer is worth the money. CFM-tech makes a good one..

Speed density does a minimum amount of self adjusting...it's just the nature of the beast. A mass air flow setup is far superior as far as mods without a tune go...and part-throttle a/f ratio is also more accurate.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ja9to

As for the look in the engine...... that factory box looks like crap and once the cold air intake is installed it looks alot cleaner and sporty. everyone ive shown my truck to loves the new improvment!
So you think seeing the sensors and wiring makes it look cleaner? To each his own I guess..

Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 AM
ja9to

Ill take some pics and post them tomarrow and you can be the judge. I was amazed at bulky the stock box is and how cleaner it looked removed. And as for the spacer..... Riddle me this batman...... if it is pointless and the air is turbulant then why is the " tornado " a proved mpg increaser? it is very similar to a grooved spacer! it just has guide vanes for air specified air direction.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

throttle body spacer = waste of cash!

as far as intakes go i reccomend trueflow... a couple guys have them here and a lot on other forums and they all like them.... i think they make an xdi kit for your truck... chek them out!

Quick Reply: Upgrade Intake?