3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB question??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
pimpd1!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB question??

Ok so I have a CBI was planning on installing in my 04 Ram. I have 5% tint all the way around my truck and a few people I have talked to have said that the antenna wont read through the tint. The antenna I have in not a magnetic one....It looks just like a longer cellular phone antenna and mount to the outside window and the cable andothe half of the transmitter are on the inside.

So my question from anyone that does have one like this or any that knows about it......WILL THE ANTENNA BE ABLE TO READ THROUGH THE TINT/GLASS?? I really want to install this, but I dont want to waste my time if its not going to read/send a signal through the glass/tint.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 11:16 AM
spud11
Veteran
Default RE: CB question??

I don't know if it will read, but you will get almost nothing on the way of transmission power output. You'll be able to hear people but chances are you won't be heard by them unless they're on top of you. the best place for an antenna is on the roof of the truck, wilson makes a short roof mount, can't remeber the model number right now. I have a wilson 500 with the 6' whip and its the best I've ever had, looking to upgradeto the 1000.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM
pimpd1!

Damn it....I wonder if I cut a small square out of the tint behind the transmitter if that will allow it to go through, since you wont be able to see it anyways, because the transmitter box will cover that area. I am really trying to avoid using a magnetic antenna...i love the clean look/ as if it belongs there look of things on my vehicles and this is no exception.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
pimpd1!

BUMP.....anyone else have some input....the more the merrier!!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Check this out, this is the one I used... It is for a full size (4',6' or bigger) antenna and mounts flush.. look s great in my opinion, plus you can ground the antenna unlike your standard chepo glass mount:

http://www.walcottcb.com/product_inf...roducts_id=308

Check out my gallery to see how it looks installed...

Hope this helps

Old 11-26-2007, 02:52 PM
pimpd1!

Thats not bad...im just trying to have something that looks like it belongs there......like the new vehicles (not the trucks) but cars that have the antenna that looks like it already comes on it....thats the look im going for.............

UGH......why cant they make one that goes through tint..LOL

Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an antenna mounted on 23% tint. I could barely talk or hear unless I was real close. I cut a square out of the tint and it helped some, but I ended up mounting an outside antenna.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
pimpd1!

Damn....thats what I was afraid of..........ugh...well now it looks like Im going to have to do some thinking on this to see which route I wanna go.

More input is appreciated.....thanks again guys!!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to get any range you will need a antenna outside, the bigger the better. It is a BIG RAM, the Antenna will be fine.

How about a roll bar, with 4-5 lights and two antenna on each side.... Expensive solution for antennas but it would lookand work good

10-4

Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

If you want to get any range you will need a antenna outside, the bigger the better. It is a BIG RAM, the Antenna will be fine.

How about a roll bar, with 4-5 lights and two antenna on each side.... Expensive solution for antennas but it would lookand work good

10-4<<<<
nice.... over

Quick Reply: CB question??