3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

two gas tanks ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:38 PM
sddunn2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two gas tanks ?

I used to have a ford f150 and it had two gas tanks on it that you could switch over from one to the other . Why do they not make trucks with two tanks any more ?I thought it was kinda handy on long trips only needing to stop once or twice

your thoughts ??

Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 AM
ThaChad
Professional
Default RE: two gas tanks ?

2 words....

GAS PRICES!!

Could You imagine? It costs me right around $90 to fill my tank from empty, That the cheap stuff. I couln't imagine a $180 fill up!

Also You'd be driving around with all that extra weight, which would probably equal less MPG.

Another thought, modern engine typically get better gas mileage, so less need to haul around 2 tanks.

Yet Another thought, Most fuel these days has a bunch of crap in it, including water, which you wouln't want to sit in that extra tank for too long, or you could have serious trouble, Just ask anyone that owns a boat, Boat owners have constant problems with today's fuel, since fuel in a boat often sits for long periods of time.

And Another thought, Since they got rid of MTBE, and started using Ethenol, Fuel tends to seperate alot faster, and doesn't maintain as long of a shelf life.

-ThaChad

Old 12-20-2007, 02:56 AM
agargano98
Veteran

but it is nice on a long trip not to need a gas station every few hundred miles, unless of course the wife has to pee once an hour[sm=bicker.gif]

Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 AM
mopar74
Professional

ORIGINAL: agargano98

but it is nice on a long trip not to need a gas station every few hundred miles, unless of course the wife has to pee once an hour[sm=bicker.gif]
OMG!? I just did a trip from Pittsburgh to Boston and only stopped for fuel once -the only stop.

Two tanks and no stop - I'd be dead now.

Last edited by mopar74; 03-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:22 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 tanks and a choice of two different types of fuel.[sm=confused06.gif]

Onenormal petrol tank andtwo LPG tanks[sm=goodidea.gif]

I flip between both sets and havejust under, 700 miles capacity at 14MPG.[sm=happy046.gif]

Plus, over here in the UK, LPG is well under half price compared to petrol.[sm=happybounce.gif]

The wife hates it but I figure I'm gonna' get some of those diapers that that lady astronaut used when she tried to kidnap her rival LOL [sm=teetertooter.gif]

Al.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:20 AM
mccormickreaper

I think if you do the math, the capacity of both tanks combined on the old Fords were about the same as what the single tank is on the Dodge.

If I remember right, the front tank on the Ford was around 18 gal and the rear was around 16 gal. Fuel capacity on the Ram is 35 gal.

The only advantage that I saw with the two tanks is that if one of the in-tank pumps went bad, you could limp home on the other one. Or, like my 97 Ford, when the rear tank rusted through, you just ran off the front tank.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same set up on my ’88 ford supercab. I don’t remember the quantity it held, but it was nice since I did a lot of traveling pulling a travel trailer. On my ram now, I have the 35 gallon tank and love it. I fill up roughly once a month working locally. I don’t recall seeing the two tank option on any truck lately. Red

Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM
manualagain
Professional

My old '93 F-150 also had the 2 tank set up. I had better range in it between fillups than any prior truck, but the new Ram with its 34 gallon tank took me 385 miles on the first tank so I'm ok with this setup.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: manualagain
but the new Ram with its 34 gallon tank took me 385 miles on the first tank so I'm ok with this setup.
385 on a 35 gallon tank?!!? Youch! I get that on a regular basis on my 25 gallon.... [sm=proof.gif]

Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM
chongo
Veteran

ORIGINAL: bwhite757

ORIGINAL: manualagain
but the new Ram with its 34 gallon tank took me 385 miles on the first tank so I'm ok with this setup.
385 on a 35 gallon tank?!!? Youch! I get that on a regular basis on my 25 gallon.... [sm=proof.gif]
HA - I get about 330-340 on my 34 gallon tank - thats strictly city driving! - Driving to Alabama in the next few days and it's a relatively flat stretch so I should get pretty decent mpg - like 15-16.

Quick Reply: two gas tanks ?