3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So what's so bad about an eBay Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So what's so bad about an eBay Intake?

lol... Anyway, got my intake in today. I'm happy with the results. As stated in another post I was reading a lot trying to justify the $300 expense for an intake, and well, decided against it. I went with a cheapo eBay with a K&N filter. I'm happy with the results. I have a decent gain in throttle response, and a nice roar at WOT. The install was easy, although the lack of any instructions. Had it in the truck in about 20 minutes. A flat head and 10mm socket is all you need. The best thing about it is that it makes the MDS a LOT less noticable. Don't know how, but it definantly keeps a lot of the MDS drone out of the cab. Anyway, here's some pics for your enjoyment:

Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 AM
rebelz99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So what's so bad about an eBay Intake?

By looking at yours, it looks pretty good, goes down far enough to get the coldest air possible, nice. I think the major issue that most are having with the ebay ones is the quality of the tubing and clamps. I also can't justify the 300$ for one, but I migth be able to justify one like yours. If you don't mind how much did you pay for it?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is similar but not the same, got it off Ebay too. But It makes a weird noise like i have no tubing on it at all. It sounds like this masive air flow or something. Is that supposed to happen?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

bwhite it looks like you got a nice one... a lot of them are really cheap quality and they normally dont match up right... if yours fits in good and is made with quality parts you made out nicely!!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
06Mopar
Professional

I have one of the cheaper intakes as well and it does fine.. You can also here mine whistle some when you give it gas but i love the noise it makes..

Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
mfs212
Captain

It does look good. Again, kinda makes me regret doing my PVC project, but I am considering doing a twintake out of PVC since they have 3 way PVC similar to what you posted...

Question, Can I deliver too much air to the throttle body? If I were to do what I was talking about, I would have 2 4" intakes...

Here is what I have so far...

Name:  ATT00040.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  108.6 KB

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
pcollins
Veteran

How much did that run you bwhite?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Kebo
Professional

It looks like it was this one, by the photos..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
bwhite757
All Star

Yep, that's it, except with ta K&N filter, same guy though... LINK

As far as anything goes, had to take about an hour drive for work today. When I got there, popped the hood to check and make sure everything is still in place (I took my time putting everything in, but it'll be a week or so before I trust it in there). Engine bay was hot, of course, however put my hand on the intake tube, and was COLD all the way to the throttle body. Apparently it's doing it's job, so I'm definantly not complaining about it.

As far as the quality of parts goes, it's not the best, I know that. However it does fit nicely, it is kinda cumbersome to get the o2 sensor in right. I'm planning on getting some red couplers anyway, as I have a feeling these won't stand the test of time, plus they're blue.. lol

Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Mattcmdr
Professional

i started a thread on this about 2 weeks ago and i think i convinced a few people about y it actaully looks liek it would work better then say a k&n intake.......i do not have one my self as of this point but will soon.........the one u have is the exact one i was looking at......im gladd to hear good things from it......is it from the company called chrome intakes

Quick Reply: So what's so bad about an eBay Intake?