3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical oddities

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
wagonmasterjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical oddities

New guy here...

I have a few odd things happening on the electrical side of things in my 2003 Ram 1500.

1) The fan blower will, on occasion, remain on after the ignition is turned off.

2) Noticed yesterday that the auxillary pwr no longer powers radio until starter is fully "engaged" prior to engine start up.

3) WDO button seems to be bad because none of the passenger window/door locks function at their respective doors - though I am able to lock and utilize master window/lock from driver panel.

First off, pardon the less than technical jargon. Second, I realize these issues may be isolated unto themselves, but the biggest concern I have is the first one I mentioned. Due to my carelessness of leaving the fan on upon leaving the vehicle, ithas led to a couple of dead batteries as of late.

Does anyone think this is an ignition-electrical issue, or more to do with the blower itself?

Would the aux pwr problem be related?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:03 PM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electrical oddities

the door lock window problem is you have the "master control lock" thing on. it's so if you have small children they can't roll the windows down/up. if memory serves, it's below all of the controls on the driver side pannel. not sure about the other two.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
wagonmasterjoe

Right. I have tested this. Even with that button engaged/disengage, the locks and windows still don't work.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
kenihemi
All Star

Are you talking about the heater/ac blower?

Most accesories lose power while cranking to start so that the starter doesn't send a spike that damage stuff.

You use the driver door most often. The master controls are on that door and unfortunately, face straight up. So when you open the door in rain and such, they get wet and can water inside of them and corrode the contacts. It is against all odds that all the switches in the other doors failed at the same time. I had that corrosion problems in an old truck.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:26 PM
wagonmasterjoe

That's a good word pertaining to the contacts. Anyone have an idea as to how to clean those contacts? Getting into the armrest to investigate looks like a chore. Is there a simple way to pry off that plate to investigate?

Power to the heater/AC fan is still present when I turn off the ignition. In other words, I can power off the truck and walk away with the fan still running.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The door panels come off very easily >> take out the screw at the sail panel (near the side mirror), at the door release handle and the two at the bottom. Then lift the panel straight up. Once it's loose, you can reach in and unplug the window switch module. The switch module itself may not be serviceable. It may be a sealed unit. What you might try first is a PCM reset.Maybe the computer has gotten confused and thinks you want to never open the windows and you like a dead battery. If the PCM reset doesn't help, the blower motor switch may be bad. Look for corroded connections at the switch. I'd guess it's finding a ground where it shouldn't. If you turn the fan off first, does it stay off?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
wagonmasterjoe

Mike,

Thanks for the guidance. Yes, the fan blower will stay off if I power it off. But if I happen to leave it on, and kill the engine, it will stay on. This has happened a few times because I may have the fan on low and not hear it when I get set to leave the truck.

Do I need to have a dealer reset the computer?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
kenihemi
All Star

To reset the pcm

Leave battery CONNECTED, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT.

Buckle the driver seat belt to that it won't cause chimes that will be confusing.

Remove the PCM/SKIM fuse from the fuse box. Its marked on the bottom of the fuse box lid.

Insert key and turn all the way to START and hold it there until you hear 2 chimes. The truck will not turn over.

Remove key, unbuckle seatbelt, replace fuse, done.

The first time you go to start it, there may be a delay for cranking for a second or two. This is normal.

Quick Reply: Electrical oddities