3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4" vs. 6" Lift for 2006 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
navyplt182
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" vs. 6" Lift for 2006 Ram 1500

I've been on these forums for just under a year now and have found them extremely useful. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC and am in the market for a lift/wheels/tires. This post is mostly aimed towards lifts, however I will take suggestions on any of those items. I have done extensive research on both this forum and dodgetalk.com, however I still have questions. I am hoping to get people's opinions on both 4" and 6" suspension lift kits. I like the extra height, but I also do not want to sacrifice ride quality due to the fact that this is my only vehicle. Which one provides the best ride for a daily driver but also allows for moderate off-roading when combined with 17" wheels and 35" tires (all terrain or mud terrain)? I know that Rancho makes a 4" lift and Fabtech and ProComp make 6" lift kits. Are there any kits besides the Rancho which DO NOT require cutting of the frame? In terms of stability, it would make sense that the 4" would provide more, simply because it is lower to the ground, but for those of you with 6" lifts, do you notice a decrease in stability in sharp turns at moderate speeds? Thanks for all of your help!

Ken

Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: 4" vs. 6" Lift for 2006 Ram 1500

i know hammer has the 4" lift by rancho and he loves it... there are many people running the fabtechs with great results too...

Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had the luxury of growing up in upstate N.Y. on a farm and then living in rural GA. for 14 years after college. I've had lifted 4x4's my whole life since before I was old enough to have a license and I'll be 41 this month.
I have also been a member of multiple fishing/hunting/ATV clubs and have had the opportunity of driving and/or riding in just about every brand of vehicle with most brands and types of lifts, so I've formulated some opinions on the matter.
I firmly believe that if your truck is going to be a daily driver as well, then it's important to get just enough lift to accommodate the size tire you will be mounting while allowing for full movement off-road carryinga good bit of weight. A level kit may allow you to clear 35's, but it will not allow for much travel while off-road, especially if carrying any weight.
I also firmly believe, from first hand encounters (and if you have read many of my posts, this will be VERY redundant) that a 1/2 ton, IFS truck cannot handle tires larger than 35" for even moderate off road use. The components are not near as beefy or strong as a live axle setup. As a result, I will only use 35" tires max. on a Dodge 1500. Because of this, I chose the Rancho 4" lift as opposed to any of the multiple 5.5"-6" suspension lifts that are available for my '04 Dodge 1500. I have been in many trucks with 6" or higher kits & one in particular with a Rancho 4", and I found the dude's truckwith the 4" lift gave a much better, more centered, ride both on and off road. I don't necessarily think it's because the Rancho kit has way better components, I just think the slightly lower center of gravity handles much better. So, I purchased this kit. Remember, if you are running 35" tires on a 6" lift it gives you no more ground clearance than if you are running 35's on a 4" lift. The only difference is the 6" gives you a taller stance, and I for one think there's too much space in the wheel wells with 6" of lift and 35's (just my opinion).
Now if I had a 2500 series or an older 2nd Gen. 1500 with a solid front axle, like my '98 Dodge was, I wouldn't hesitate to go 6" or more with 37"+ tires. But the switch that the manufacturers have made to IFS in the 1/2 ton's for a more car like ride, as most 4x4 owners never venture off-road, has a trade off, and front end strength is what they gave up.
Now, I've hunted & hung out off-roading with a bunch of guys with 6" kits and 35s who park next to me and boast about the 2" taller stance, but just about all who've driven or ridden in mine concede that it does indeed handle better...

Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

I have had the luxury of growing up in upstate N.Y. on a farm and then living in rural GA. for 14 years after college. I've had lifted 4x4's my whole life since before I was old enough to have a license and I'll be 41 this month.
You old fart!!! lol i'll be 19 sunday

Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Redram05baby

Once Again, Not My Post... But Thank You Hammer.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
navyplt182

Hammer, I have in fact read most of your posts and you have just about persuaded me to go with the 4" Rancho Kit. I may have posted this thread with false hopes for someone to tell me how much they loved their 6" suspension kit and how much of a better ride it gave them, as I am one of those who like the look of the higher stance and the empty wheel wells. I completely agree with your assessment of 35" tires and wouldn't consider getting anything larger. Thanks again for your expertise and it will certainly be taken into consideration.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: navyplt182

Hammer, I have in fact read most of your posts and you have just about persuaded me to go with the 4" Rancho Kit. I may have posted this thread with false hopes for someone to tell me how much they loved their 6" suspension kit and how much of a better ride it gave them, as I am one of those who like the look of the higher stance and the empty wheel wells. I completely agree with your assessment of 35" tires and wouldn't consider getting anything larger. Thanks again for your expertise and it will certainly be taken into consideration.
You'll probably have no problem finding guys who will tell you how great the ride is with their 6" kit. But the issue is how many have driven or been in anything else. I've justalways been in area's where lifted trucks predominate and for many, many years before there were forums to pass along information, I have been lucky enough to be able to "try before I buy" anything from lifts and tires to hunting accessories or pretty much anything else having to do with outdoor activities. It was the same thing when I bought my latest ATV. I was all set to go geta Honda until I drove a Can-Am. Been on many Honda's and thought they were just fine. In reality, however, there was no comparison, but until you get on them both, you never really know.
Now you may find the 6" kit handles just fine for you and if you are wanting that little extra stance, it may be perfectly finefor you and that may be enough to make it better for youthan the Rancho kit. But from a handling/ride quality stand point, I've been in trucks with just about every 6" kit and to me, that slightly lower center makes a good bit of difference in handling and makes it a little safer off-road as well.
I wouldn't say getting a 6" kit would totally be a bad choice , it's just you wanted to know how one handled vs. the other.Even though manyof my friendshave conceded that my truck handles better, not all of them would getthe Ranchoif thay had to do it all over. To some, the extra stance was/is more important than the difference in ride quality.
Now if you were getting that 6" kit for the sole purpose of putting 37's on your 1500, I WOULD think that would be a poor choice.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

Grandpa hammer does know a thing or two about a thing or two.. he's been around the block with lifted trucks...

Where he grew up in ny he had to walk to school uphill both ways in two feet of snow.. then the model T was invented and he got one and put a lift and some 35's on it!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:23 PM
navyplt182

haha...well put

Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
livetokite
Veteran

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

You old fart!!! lol i'll be 19 sunday

I'll be 18 in december [sm=shades.gif]

Quick Reply: 4" vs. 6" Lift for 2006 Ram 1500