3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sub placement other than storage bins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub placement other than storage bins?

So is there anywhere someone has installed a sub other than in the storage bins/compartments? I reeally get a lot of use out of the storage areas and I wouldn't want to have to give that space up. But, I'd love to have a little more bass, even with the premium stereo. Would I be able to squeeze a tiny sub under the drivers seat with an amp under the passenger seat? Has anyone done this? Does anyone know of a sub small enough to do this?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
esskmo
Professional
Default RE: Sub placement other than storage bins?

I would put a one man bunk in the bed of the truck and throw some 12"s in there, Those are my plans for future money. I don't use too much space in the bed and would probably put a tool box behind that as well. For anyone that doesn't know what one looks like, just picture a canopy in the bed just wide enough for a guy to sleep in. You remove the rear window, but seals would be in place to cover the space between the cab and the bed. I would start with any shop that makes their own canopies and tell them what you want. It should be cheaper than a brand new canopy, most definately custom since I couldn't find any online. I have seen them everywhere back home in alaska.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I've seen a one man bunk before on some of the older ranch trucks around here.... definitely not quite what I'm looking for. But a very clever and custom idea.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
matsram
Professional

i have two 12 in my truck in a box that starts at the back seat and goes to the 4x4 shifter in between the front seats and i still have a storage spot on top and used the stock padded top its bolted to the 4 locations of the stock arm rests, too bad i did have to loose the cup holders in the back on the floor but there is no drinking in my truck anyways.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

i have two 12 in my truck in a box that starts at the back seat and goes to the 4x4 shifter in between the front seats and i still have a storage spot on top and used the stock padded top its bolted to the 4 locations of the stock arm rests, too bad i did have to loose the cup holders in the back on the floor but there is no drinking in my truck anyways.
That would eliminate the ability to use my fold flat floors though... and I use that almost daily.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:12 PM
matsram
Professional

you could just get the stealth box from jl audio i think it holds one ten or one twevle and resides in the stock location of your center seat section, these are just ideas but if you want to go outside the box i had a freind that fiber glassed one ten into each door of his mustang it hit pretty hard too.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I have the Laramie with the two seats and the center console, so I'm assuming under the middle seat wouldn't work for me... and I use that storage space.

But modifying the doors to hold a 10" might be an option....

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
matsram
Professional

its not hard we both at the time worked for car tunes a stereo shop so in his spare time he framed it up and layed the glass be sure to take into consideration the travel of your door glass as you will not want to interfer with it also may want to pitch it slightly upward and sound deaden everything at least three times sheet metal likes to vibrate

Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Yeah... that's not quite my area of expertise. If I go that route I'll have the same shop who installs the new stereo in my boat do my truck. They installed my backup camera and did a great job for pretty cheap.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does not sound like you are getting any subs.... every spot that is available to put them, you have said you use for storage. Unfortunately, we have to make some sacrifices to get what we want. It is still a truck, you know..lol

Basically, what it boils down to is we have 2 locations that we can put subs without affecting seating. Under the back seat or replacing the middle seat with a JL Stealthbox (really expensive).. A 10" in the door would have to be pretty slim (which means it would be very low power handling, or one of those new subs with the magnet in the front), unless you do not plan on using your window. There is just barely enough depth for my JL XR 6.5" woofer to get in there, so a 10" would be pretty hard to do.

Another option, if you are just wanting some extra bass would be a small powered cabinet, like the concept 8"....let me find a link for you...here we go

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONCEPT-BBX-8-CA...QQcmdZViewItem

Something along these lines, that could fit under a seat (which you probably use for storage). You must have a lot of **** in your truck.....

Quick Reply: Sub placement other than storage bins?