3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to? Stock stereo, sub & amp.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Schlag
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to? Stock stereo, sub & amp.

Im clueless when it comes to stereo equipment. I want to put my 12" Kenwood sub & amp (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ures_and_specs) in my truck w/ stock stereo head unit ('08 Ram w/ 4 speakers). ICan I & if so, how do I do it? If someone can break it down for me.....like I said, Im clueless.

The following 2 users liked this post by Schlag:
REMI.14 (09-11-2024), RICK ROBINSON (05-19-2021)
Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Redram05baby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to? Stock stereo, sub & amp.

MFS? You Wanna Take This One?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
hemi630
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok you will need to buy this box thing i dont know what its called but if you call best buy or any car audio place they will know but there is 4 wire coming off of it that you wire into you speaker wire coming off the back of the radio.(to find thsoe what i usually do it go and get a wiring harness for a aftermarket cd player and match the wires up after that you can return the harness). But after you splice the wires in the the other side of the box has rca plugs which is what aftermarker cd players have and that is what you plug the amp into using rca cable they look like the ones yuo would plug a playstation into the tv with they are usually red and white on the plugs. Next you will need to run your power wire which you run from the battery 2 the amp. You will need to find a hole in the firewall on mine i just poked a hole in the rubber boot by the steering shaft then once u have it to the battery cut it in half about 6 inches from the battery and install the fuse holder that u should have with ur install kit. Then find a ground for the amp i just un screwed one of my seat bolts and put it in and tightned it back down. Then for the remote wire i since you r using your stock headunit you will have to run it to a fuse in ur fuse box that turns off when the car is turned off. So a testlight makes it easy just touch the fuses when the car is on and then when its off and once you find one that is on when the car is on and off when the car is off pull it out and wrap the wire around the fuse prongs and push it back in it will be a little tite but it will work. But just for your fyi buying a aftermarket cd player makes this whole process way easier.

The following users liked this post:
REMI.14 (09-11-2024)
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
muscleman320
Professional

1. get new head unit (i suggest pioneer) your facrtory is TERRIBLE it puts out 15Wx4, most new ones are about 50-55W, definiteyl need to start there.

2 run all the wires you'll be doing, in your case and amp wiring package will be in order, drill hole in firewall if needed, probabaly 4 guage wire will be fine, also consider rewiring you speakers in the doors, this make a HUUUGE difference)

3. take off all panels : thi is actually pretty easy in our trucks eerything pretty much pops out, if it doesn't find the screw hole, you CAN'T be afraid to break something when doing this, odds ore you won't

4. mount your amp where you want it and put in new speakers and head unit (you'll probaably need to get a wiring kit, wherever you get head unit should have one and they can tell you which one you'll need)

5. Also consider dynomat in the doors. Ram's battle pretty bad actually so this will make a huge impovement, it may not rattle at first when you start to bump, but it'll shake everything loose it can after a few times.

6. Out al the panels back on like you took them off, you're looking at a 5 hour project here, but not too difficult honestly, you hsould be able to do it yourslf

Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The adapter that you need for the stock stereo is the called a "low pass filter". This will tie in directly with your exhisting speaker wiring and has a RCA out to run to your amp. After that the other wiring is the same for hooking up the amp. If you need more help come on back

Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

So I can't really replace my head unit... it's tied to the Bluetooth. It tells me when a call is coming in, displays the number on the screen, shows my battery strength, etc. I'm quite content with how the bluetooth works. Just as good as in a 5-series imo.

So, the best I can do is a new amp, speakers, and wiring, and I should be ok, right? So you're telling me the premium speaker package I paid for is only 15w x 4. Doesn't sound right?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

It's called a LINE IN ADAPTER.
And I spliced into the speaker wires in the passanger colum and ran wire's back behind the seat and mounted it there the best place I found for a REM wire is on the window switch.
and you dont need to drill any thing there is a gromit where the kick down cable runs out behind your brake pedal that the wire's run through perfect

Old 02-01-2008, 10:38 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

I just put in alpine type s 6x9's in the front and kept the stock head unit it sound's fine.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Schlag
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cool, thanks!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yes you need a line out converter. I won't comment on what I think of it. but this giant picture of dog **** should sum it up just fine.

Quick Reply: How to? Stock stereo, sub & amp.