3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Automatic Headlights DIY - 06, 07, & 08's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:22 PM
michaelahess
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Automatic Headlights DIY - 06, 07, & 08's

When I used to do car audio installs, I always crimped, even before hearing the hazards of soldiering. It just always worked well and I never ran into loose connections or any other problems. It's also much faster in my opinion.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
The BIG STEAK

Good write up! you obviously have some good knowledge of the headlight circuit. Maybe you can help me with this one!!!

In Canada, the Daytime Running Light module turns off one head light when the signal light on the same side ison. Almost all Chryslers and Dodges do this now and it annoys the hell out of me. However, when the headlights are on, the signal light does not shut off the headlight. (obviously a safety concern at night) I suppose this is done so that the signal light is easier seen during the day when the DRL's are on.

Do you know the location of the DRL module and which input wire we would apply 12v to simulate "on" headlights at the module so that the signal light will not kill the headlight. (if that is how it does work, correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks

07 ram 1500 quad laramie

Old 07-15-2008, 10:37 PM
jchuchla

Has anyone confirmed the wiper trigger wiring? It's the law here in illinois to have the lights on when the wipers are on. I miss that feature from my chevy. Does anyone know if the 545t is smart enough to know the difference between spraying the windows and actually wiping in the rain?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 AM
lyndo
Rookie

just gonna bump this thread seeing as its old and many people probably haven't seen this mod. Its a good, fairly easy mod and a great write up.

I just did this yesterday and it took me about 3 hours taking my time. A couple of notes I will make are that I did not actually need to remove the radio bezel to do it and did not want to because I think I would have had to remove my centre console in order to remove the radio bezel.. not something I wanted to do.. I just removed the plastic and metal pieces below the steering wheel and took out the three screws holding the plastic around the instrument cluster out. From there I just pulled rearward on the plastic closest to the door carefully making sure not to break anything, just far enough to give me room to take the plug out of the light switch. I then ran the plug down through the hole for my power pedals to work on it.

Another note is when determining the pin numbers of the lighting plug, the number 1 should be on the side of the plug indicating which pin is number 1. There should be pin numbers 5, 10 and 7 as well on the side of the plug ( don't quote me on that). I removed the switch to double check and the numbers on n fact correspond with the ones in the switch. This becomes important when doing it the way I did and not removing the radio bezel, prying the plastic back doesn't exactly give you a lot of room to go in and look at the back of the switch to determine pin numbers. Its is only 3 screws to remove the switch for a closer look so it wasn't too bad to double check, but if it helps anyone in the future, just look at the side of the plug. the pin that is closest to the 1 on the plug is the pin you are looking for.

The last note I'll make is just for another idea of where to put the photocell. Since my truck has the infinity speakers I could not use the placement that was used in the write up. Similar to bwhite757 I did not want my photocell to be visible so instead of putting where they had I just placed it in the VIN number window (the vin number is still fully visible) and ran the wire around the back of the dash, down the door and under the dash to the DEI unit. Doing this allows for light to reach the photocell and for it to still be hidden from view when you are inside the vehicle.

Big thanks to bwhite757 for the write up, I would have never known how to do it without it.

Last edited by lyndo; 12-23-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not me, it's not hard to turn on the switch. Plus I turn my lights off when stuck in drive thru's and such so it is an opition that I don't need

It was a nice write-up the may belong in the DYI section.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 PM
lyndo
Rookie

Okay, ran into a bit of a problem. Just drove the truck for the first time tonight and found out that the auto lights shut off when I shift the truck into reverse. As soon as I shift it into any other gear I wait the 5 seconds and the lights flip back on automatically. Any ideas of why it would do this?

edit: forgot to mention that my truck is a canadian model with DRL's if that would make a difference?

Last edited by lyndo; 12-23-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think EVERY vehicle sold should come with DRLs. I get so freaking tired of seeing idiots drive through town at dusk or night and in the rain with NO lights. Its so dangerous

Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 AM
lyndo
Rookie

^^ agreed, I have no idea why the states doesn't make it a law for them to be required.

I figured out the problem I was having, I used a wire from my power pedals for constant power. The wire had power all the time except when the truck was in reverse, go figure lol. I tapped into a wire from the brake switch and the auto lights work perfect now.

Quick Reply: Automatic Headlights DIY - 06, 07, & 08's