3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Issues with Superchips and customer service

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 AM
SmittyRN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with Superchips and customer service

OK, here's the deal; picked up a Superchips 3815 on eBay for $256. It had been used once on an '05 Hemi, then the guy returned the vehicle to stock when he sold the truck and I got the superchips. I hooked it up, got a "cannot detect ignition on" error. After troubleshooting and determining that I had everything right and the battery was charged (it's a new '08, no electrical problems), I figured it needed a firmware update. It never had been updated, the USB cable was still sealed in plastic. Well, it won't update; I'm getting a communication error when I try to hook it up. I contacted tech support on Wed, the guy I talked to seemed clueless and said he was going to have to give the problem to the "Dodge guys". I called back on Thursday, he said he had sent them the info and they would be in contact with me. Nothing on Friday.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I've read a post on a complaint about Superchips customer service, and I'm not real happy with them right now. I don't think I got sold a dud from they guy I got it from; the readout shows that the last vehicle was returned to stock settings. I just think I can't update it and it's not gonna work with my truck until I can. I've got a few options; return it to the guy I got it from if he will be willing to take it back; double-check and make sure it will work on a older model Hemi, then sell it with warning about newer trucks; or continue dealing with Superchips. I am going to call them again tomorrow, ask them it will be quicker for me to send it to them and let them update it.

Any thoughts, guys?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Issues with Superchips and customer service

Yep, that's why I no long have a flashpaq tuner. I loved the product, but the couple of questions I had basically got laughed at, and was told to be happy with what I had. Well, ok. I'll be happy with what I have when I have someone else's product in my truck....

No more superchips.. I'm sure it helps to buy new, they're probably tired of so many 2nd or 3rd owners bugging them about the product. However it's my personal belief that the reason there's ALWAYS a used one to be found is the fact that someone has been pissed off by the SC support team... Just my opinion of course..

Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Kebo
Professional

SmittyRN, I sent you an email.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, their customer service isn't the best in the world. It seems they actually respond better on their forum than they do over the phone. I've never had to contact them with a problem, but I've butted heads a few times on their forum site. My issue with them has more to deal with being lied to by them. Lots of features they promised to update the product with have been abandoned, one of which is the abitlity to custom tune, which is the main reason I bought it, only after verifying with them that the feature would be available soon. Bottom line - the dude lied to make the sale, then gives me crap months later about the company doing an "about face" for C.A.R.B. complience.
But anyway, that's my issue with them. As far as your issue goes, it's unfortunate, but they really have no obligation to help you. You bought the unit used, on ebay, to save money. If you buy a used truck from someone and have issues with it, are you going to get mad at the manufacturer because they are not going to extend the same warranty to you as the original owner? Just remember to be cordial with them when you call, even if you are a bit frustrated, because they can legally tell you to F**K OFF...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 AM
SmittyRN
Professional

I don't they don't have to help me out, but I think they could give me an answer one way or another. It's not like this is a high-use item, from what I gather it had been used twice... once to program, once to return it to stock. Hell, they guy sent it to me in the box it came in, with the usb cable still in plastic and all the little cards still with it.

I've got a buyer for it if they can't help me out, so I wouldn't be out any money; it's just an aggravation, it was a really good deal. Now I'll have to figure out what to do next, try a new 3815 or a different company.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Biggest problem is, they currently have the best product and they know it. I've always thought that they have had a "better than thou" attitude. Maybe the SCT tuner will change all that...

Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 PM
redram07
Amateur

I also bought my superchips off ebay, and so far no problems. Maybe you have already doen this but here is what I did and it seemed to work. I downloaded the instructions of the net. I went to the website and registered myself and got an "account". I then downloaded the updates. Took a few minutes but everything seemed to go fine. When I went to install it on the truck I go the "cannot detect ignition error on" message. I unplugged it and made sure it was plugged in well. What it turned out to be was thatI did not have the ignition on far enough. You have to turn it so all your dash warning lights come on. When I did this it instantly read the tuck. Changing of the program took about 10 minutes. Works great and I'm happy with it (knock on wood).
Again, maybe you did all this but make sure you register yourself on the website, this may help in downloading the updates. Also make sure your ignition is all the way on, but dont start it. Also make sure your radio is off, unplug your cell phone charger, wipers are off, and your heater fan is off.
I hope this helps.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 PM
SmittyRN
Professional

Tried all of that...... I can't get it to download updates, so everything else is a moot point.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

If your PC is firewalled you'll have an issue with gettingupdates, try disabling any firewalls.

Quick Reply: Issues with Superchips and customer service