3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

who here has lowered their ram alot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:20 AM
leo305sr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: who here has lowered their ram alot?

those look like boss 313 wheels on the chevy. my best friend just got the same ones for his 05 f150. they look real nice. i might get some boss wheels in a different model myself

Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hemiyellow's ram looks awesome and it's lowered. take it too far in either direction, it looks terrible, but done right both can look good. It's his ride, let him do what wants. I think the 5/8 drop looks a little too low, a 4/6 would probably be the lowest I'd take a Ram.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
tizzle0469

how bout some advice from someone who has lowered a ram. i had an 04 ram single cab sxt that i did a 2/4 DJM drop on, nitro shocks and everything, that bitch rode like ***, looked tight as hell though. anyway i dropped it on a set of boss 20's and i did a minor alignment job to be safe. my advice is if you do decide to drop it, you will need a flip kit for the rear and i would suggest air helperbags cause my truck would slam the axel into the frame going over a big bump. for the most part i liked it ( but also i had the truck full custom, fully shaved, moulded roll pan, custom system blah blah), buti would not do it to another daily driver w/out helper bags. i traded that in on my new 07 quad cab SLT and im ordering DJM drop shackles next week.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
vaughn35
Rookie

i just put the djm drop shackles on my 06 ram and i dont think it lowered it a 1/2 inch

this is what the direction sheet reads
Test result show varying amount of drop when using this shackle. The amount of drop on your vehicle may vary from 1/2†to 1-1/2â€. By installing this shackle you understand that the results may be a minimal amount of drop. May have some interference with mounting bracket, some modifications may be required.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:51 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want your truck to sit like that then the 5/8" drop is deffinitly what your looking for....your gonna be looking at spindles, flip kit, c-notch, and new driveshaft ( i would also reloate the spare tire to the bed and get a new rear diff cover to hold more fluid and switch over to a good quality fluid like Amsoil, M1 or R.P.)....i would highly recommend buying an air bag assist setup for the rear, as it is very helpful in driving around town and also in being able to maintain some useful towning/hauling...something you'll need to watch is that when you lower it that much you'll really have to pay attention to how wide of a wheel/tire combo you want to run because it will rub (i have mine lowered 2/4 with 305/40/22 and the inside of the tires rub on the rub a little bit)...after that you should be pretty well set....let us know how your gonna do it and then post some pics....oh yeah, i would recommened McGaughy for your lowering kit and new shocks...i went with Belltech Nitro Drop on mine...ride is much better and handeling is 100% better

Old 02-14-2008, 04:31 AM
kpreston

leo305srI agree with Footballcoach. Slammin is awesome. The 5/8 i dont know about. Probably a real crappy ride if it is possible for that to be a static drop. I actually have a 2 door dropped 2/4 with Helo Skid 22's. My ride is so so. Not that dragging bad, but it suffered a little. It made up in the turns thought for what it lost in the bumps. My kit is by McGaughy's. They also make a 4/6 static drop(the only one I know of). And they also have a set of helper bolt on bags for the rear if you like. My buddy had a 4 door on 24's with the same drop I have. It looked sick. The main thing i try to get across to a lot of people is MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT OFFSET. AS IF YOU WHERE GOING TO BAG IT. If you dont you may run into problems like I did with my wheels and if you haul something or hit a bump the tire hits the lip of the fenders. That really bites. by the way do you konw what size wheels are on the truck in the picture you have givin? Good luck with your ride. Keep it clean and on the pavement.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 AM
leo305sr
Rookie

alright. i have taken alot of consideration in what you guys have said. the 5/8 drop would be ideal, but it seems like i will be biting off alot more than i want to chew with that. i DO like hemiyellows drop, im suprised its only a 2/4 drop it looks a little lower. i was thinking a 4/6 drop or perhaps a 2/4 drop and getting some 22s. MAYBE some 24s depending on how my tax return goes this year. im also considering getting those oem or srt10 body parts to make it seem like the truck sits lower... i dont know yet. i honestly havent made up my mind just yet lol. so many decisions. thanks for the input everyone.

also hemiyellow, you said u have a Belltech Nitro Drop? where did u get this? is it a kit? so far all ive seen is mcgaughys.
EDIT- nevermind google is my friend

Old 08-29-2008, 08:20 AM
slammed1

Aton of work waas done for me to make my personal truck (the grey quad in question) and I made it work so well,that I could still tow a 7,000lb travel trailer 28 ft long OR tow my 350 chevy equipped ski boat with ease. I pioneered the 2002-2008 5-7 and 5-8 static drop because of what I did to mine testing and such. 5 people in the truck on a 3600 mile trip and no one ever complained about the ride quality.I did have rear air assist with on bord compressor and also had wheel well lips rolled and fenders sides bulged out to clear such big tires but it performed flawlessy. For a person to run that much drop and no body mods you would need a 265/35/22 or any tire around 29" tall no more.

I used spindles,coils in frt(custom coils ) and a rear flip with custom shackles and custom blocks. My gas tank was a little over 3" off the ground but only had a few minor scrapes on it. I pretty much perfected the drops over 4-6 on these 02 and up trucks and have tested other methods and stacking lower arms with drop coils and drop spindles dont really work due to upper a frame angles and tie rod issues as well as needing to raise upper control arm mounts. Yes I had enuogh time in it I could have just bagged it but I like a challenge and I accomplished my challenge.

Name:  truckmoomba7.jpg
Views: 13383
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  truckmooba1.jpg
Views: 18673
Size:  76.5 KB
Name:  slammed1sticker1-1.jpg
Views: 6821
Size:  33.4 KB
last pic is in Wisconsin 18 degree weahter with 20lbs of air in the rear bags and around 1600lbs of parts and tools in the bed.
Name:  canadaslammed3.jpg
Views: 6639
Size:  42.8 KB

Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 AM
epegasus
Rookie

Beautifully done!! What wheel/tire combo are you running? I used the DJM 2/4 drop on my '02 Graphite Grey Ram. Must be something about that color 8-). I ended up droping it an additional 1.5 inches in the front to get a more agressive stance. The ride is more sports car but very responsive which is what I like.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Johnboy7701
Rookie

My stang is dropped... but of course thats for performance factors... I am from Miami as well (The Bad Part) North Miami... but as long as you do it tasteful go ahead man... not too much off roading in Miami unless you go into the everglades...

Quick Reply: who here has lowered their ram alot?