3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end shake over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:05 PM
rockinjwolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end shake over bumps

Hello, I am new to this forum and hope someone can help . I have a 2005 Ram 2500-hemi, 41k miles. Lately, at speed (60mph +) going over a bump where pavement changes on an interstate, the front tire or tires bounce almost out of control. Took it into a local shop and they want to do inner tie rods and steering damper, bal. and rotate tires and do alighment and they "hope" this will cure prob. I did a little internet snooping and it seems I am not alone. Anyone have any real world expierence with this and how did you deal with it. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:40 PM
jmx9
Default RE: Front end shake over bumps

i had that same symptom. i started checking for loose bolts and found the bottom bolts that hold the shocks on were just sitting in there not even threaded in. so i tightend them. problem solved.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM
cableguy1224
Veteran

yeah that happened to my wifes Durango and it was a Shock problem. Replaced the shocks and the problem is gone

Good luck!!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 AM
rockinjwolf

Wow, Thats what I call Fast help!!! I was wondering about the shocks anyway. Can anyone recommend what shocks I should get for the Ram, both front and rear? And, should I change out the steering damper for an aftermarket one now and get it over with. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 AM
chadmech28
Professional

Yes you should change your steering dampner, your shocks are probally ok! check your tie rods though there is a tsb for this wobble prob.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 AM
rockinjwolf

Hey Chadmech28, can you point me in the right direction for the tsb. I only saw one for aftermarket pitman arms. Thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 09:16 AM
chadmech28
Professional

tsb 22-005-06 you replace the steering dampner and outter tie rods set tire pressures and preform alignment.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
thekidnotakid

I have an 05 power wagon (2500 series 4x4) I just had the entire front steering link system replaced (all tie rods including a new beeferier steering dampener) My truck shakes uncontrolably when I hit a bump on the right side at speeds over 60 MPH. It is very scarry. The truck jumps and shakes the living hell outa me until I drop back down to about 40. I can then bring it back up to speed and continue on untill I hit another bump. I don't think your problem lies in the tie rods. I will keep you informed when I find out what the problem is.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
~RAM~
Amateur

Originally Posted by rockinjwolf
Hello, I am new to this forum and hope someone can help . I have a 2005 Ram 2500-hemi, 41k miles. Lately, at speed (60mph +) going over a bump where pavement changes on an interstate, the front tire or tires bounce almost out of control. Took it into a local shop and they want to do inner tie rods and steering damper, bal. and rotate tires and do alighment and they "hope" this will cure prob. I did a little internet snooping and it seems I am not alone. Anyone have any real world expierence with this and how did you deal with it. Thanks in advance.
i have the same exaCT problem on my 2005 ram 2wd, except my vibrates on bumps at a slow mph also, ive taken it to suspension shops, got it aligned bought new tires etc, an it still happens, also at about 65-70 mph the truck vibrates like the tire balance or alignment is off, but have dont both numerous times.. i would like some info also..

Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 AM
crunnlaw1
Default My Truck Shakes

My trucks shaking doesn't have any thing to do with hitting bumps, it just shakes really bad when I get over pretty much 35mph. I cannot figure out what it is, and im getting so many different possible reasons, i would like to have a pinpoint answer. Does anybody have the answer?

Quick Reply: Front end shake over bumps