3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1 year review and some stereo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 PM
a4twenty
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 year review and some stereo questions

after 1 year is still love my truck and wouldn't swap it for any other but there a few quality issues and i just wanted to see if they are "normal".

1) the paint colour is wicked ( black pearl ) but it has to be the thinest paint / clear i have every seen, i can scratch it by looking at it. a friend dropped a roll of grass on it ( grass side out ) and it scratched from top to bottom.

2) the glass is extremely soft, i already have 2 scratches ( 4" - 6" long ) compared to none in my 14 year old GMC that never had a scratch. now i am in Canada and i do have to scrap the ice off a couple of time a week ( love the heated mirrors ) but use a plastic scrapper. one of the scratches is on the front windshield, going up and down so it probably wasn't even the scraper.

3) i was happy with the factory radio ( single CD / aux jack, 4 speaker ) but i already have blown speaker. now i know this going to be blamed on me cranking it but i usually run it around 20 - 25 ( 50% - 64% ) and have turned it up to 28 ( 74% ) once or twice ( i just checked, it goes to 38 ). i never adjusted the bass / mid / treble selections and they are all even.

anyone else with similar deficiencies or is just me??

now the questions about the stereo

1) what size are the door speakers? ( so i can pick them up before i rip the door apart )

2) is it worth replacing the door speaker or should i upgrade the stereo first? ( i think they usually blow because the amp clips and fries the speaker ) as i said before i am happy enough with the sound quality from the factory unit but if i cant listen to it between 50% - 75% there is something wrong with the set up.

any thoughts or suggestions??

Old 03-06-2008, 05:28 PM
nathan_e
Rookie
Default RE: 1 year review and some stereo questions

I believe they are 6x9 in the front and i think 5 1/4 or 1/2 in the back. I would change the speakers first. When I did mine I changed out everythng at all at once. I guess you go with what you can afford. I haven't had any scratches on my paint yet. But I've only had mine since christmas. And with the speakers and stereo, just make sure you get an amp to make everything sound as it should.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
damram1980
Professional

i swapped out my stock radio 4 a virtual reality labs vr3
u cant beat it 200 watts ssd card to play pics right out of cam dvd player mp3 player and all under 200

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Rot Weiss Essen
Professional

Black is the hardest color of paint to take care of properly, don't ask me how I know, anyway you have to be very careful on the stuff that you use to wash, dry and wax it with. Black shows everything even the tinest scratch or swirlmark, use the softest stuff you can find, and the best wax and polish you can find, that will help, keep the coats of wax up, try using differents compounds of polish to get rid of some of the finer surface scratches, black is a bitch, but it smiles at you the nicest.

20-25 on the stock radio isn't quiet, I usely have mine at 15-20. However it sounds like aftermarket speakers are the way to go from the majority of people on the board.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

The speakers in the front are 6x9. Yes the paint sucks!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine will be four years old in May. At four years I still love it. Still looks almost like new. The original plan was to trade it for a diesel after three years but I've got it just the way I want it (except for the cam, which is a couple of months away) and with the money Ihavein it, I'd lose my *** now.
At 38k miles I've never had a single issue other than a blown stock shock (replaced under warranty, and it was ridden hard off road at the time it blew). They are long gone anyway as I got Rancho 9000Xs with the lift.
So instead, I picked up a Grand Cherokee to use as a daily driver to keep the mileage down on the truck and save me a little bit on the gas.
I still think my next truck will be a CTD, but probably not for another two to three years. I intend to fully enjoy my truck and all my mods for a while first...

Old 10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
a4twenty
Professional

Originally Posted by a4twenty
3) i was happy with the factory radio ( single CD / aux jack, 4 speaker ) but i already have blown speaker. now i know this going to be blamed on me cranking it but i usually run it around 20 - 25 ( 50% - 64% ) and have turned it up to 28 ( 74% ) once or twice ( i just checked, it goes to 38 ). i never adjusted the bass / mid / treble selections and they are all even.

my extreme laziness has paid off

summer is my really busy season and i spend more time in company vehicles than my own so i just adjusted the bass / balance to keep the noise out. a couple weeks back i got a letter saying the factory speaker warranty had been increased to 5 years due to some " problems".

i called and they said they needed the truck to find out if there was problem, then they would order the parts and i would have to drop it off again. i told them this was crazy, i had to leave my truck twice to have a problem they know about fixed....... after a little humming and hawing the the service manager told be to bring it in now and they would test it right a way. so i reset all the controls and slipped in a Bob Marley cd , the guy got in listened to it and walked back in to the shop, yep order the new speakers

there not in yet but i'm getting new speakers.

so now i love my RAM even more.........

Old 10-16-2008, 01:30 AM
RamSportBlue

Had both 6x9 speakers in doors replaced twice now. Went back and complained. They will keep replacing them for me but will just upgrade anyways myself. They told me how much a speaker cost them. 11 dollars shows how high their quality is (infinity). Well they were smart maybe and went to Alpine for the 2009's.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Get the aftermarket Infinity speakers. They sound great and are nothing like the stockers. I just added 2 3.5" Infinity Reference speakers in the dash since I don't have the Infinity factory stuff. They are very clear and it makes the whole system sound better.
I had Pioneer 4-way 6x9's in the doors, but the bass wasn't as good as the stockers so I put them back in and added the 3.5" in the dash with the supplied filters to keep the damaging low bass from them.

Oh, my 07 Grand Caravan has a rattling passenger door speaker when I got it brand new and it had to be replaced. They give you a 15W speaker and a stereo (base, not with Infinity amp) that puts out 16.5W per channel.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Check out www.crutchfield.com

You enter your vehicle type and they show you what fits, as well as provide all of the wiring harnesses you will need. 6x9s will go in the front doors and I believe 6.5" in the back doors.

Quick Reply: 1 year review and some stereo questions