3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 AM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2010

well we nuked them, we bombed the hell out of germany and now they make great cars and have a good grip on the auto market. Imagine what this country would react if we had to rebuild after a devastating war? We wouldnt fair well at all, too many people dont know what "earning" a paycheck means

As for your delima with your parents place. The pen is mightier than the sword. They may want to look into a buyout deal instead of toyota paying the city to screw you over.

What city is this in? Do you know what theyre building there?

Old 03-12-2008, 03:28 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

ORIGINAL: Sobomaster

bwhite757makes a pretty damn good point. They do employee a lot of people in the US. Down in San Antonio where they build the new Tundras, not only does the factory employ lots of people, there have been hundreds if not thousands of businesses that have arisen or moved to San Antonio to supply parts for the Tundra and services for the factory.

And 2005cobrakiller, why are they trying to close your family's business? Did they make an offer to buy the land/business?

Lastly, if they made a 1500 diesel, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. What a lot of you may be forgetting is that they're not going to put a massive diesel like the 5.9 or 6.7 CTD in the 1500. Those definitely belong in the 2500 & 3500's.It will be a much smaller diesel that will be quiet, clean, and very efficient. It should be able to tow more than the Hemi, while probably getting 40% better gas mileage. Take a look at the 3.2L mercedes blutec diesel. That's a fine engine. Plus, not only are diesels typically more reliable, they can run for 2 - 3 times as long and vehicles with diesel engines have much better resale values. That all sounds good to me.
I disagree with BWhite, yes they have many blue collar jobs in the US. But when they make huge profits where does the money go? Japan, that's right. So they pay a few thousand workers $20/hour, big effin' deal. They take their millions and keep it in Japan.

Cobrakiller, I assume you are talking about the tech center in AnnArbor. I hear many people who are excited about it, but I feel the same as you. I am a lifetime Motor City guy, and I think it is a shame to sell out to them the way the state of Michigan has.

Sobomaster, I completely agree. The engine will be small and efficient. The stereotypes that are being thrown out there for diesels on this very thread are the reason that the US automakers don't put them in cars in the US. New diesels don't have ANY soot. DPF's make the exhaust spotless. The new diesels that are sold in the US now must meet the same emissions requirements of the gassers, so to say they are dirty is a flat out lie.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Timmerduder
Veteran

We are looking at 1500 diesels as they are a bit smaller than the 2500 as far as mileage as well as cost. We already have several large diesels that are on and off road use so with the tax break we get having more diesel use is a great savings to the company. I have also started researching diesel hybrids. Our other main goal is to try to BUY AMERICAN although that is getting tougher all the time.

As far as Nascar, I am a HUGE fan..... although Toyota is in,they are mainly in formoney... and it takes a lot for a team. All the cars are nearly the same except small body lines and the decals. Joe Gibbs racing just switched to Toyota and they have had their own engine building shop for years and I hear nothing changed there.

On a whole other note... driving by the toyota dealer yesterday I saw a lifted 4X4, talk about no clearance.... f'n toys

Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stratusguy02

I disagree with BWhite, yes they have many blue collar jobs in the US. But when they make huge profits where does the money go? Japan, that's right. So they pay a few thousand workers $20/hour, big effin' deal. They take their millions and keep it in Japan.
Again, you're talking about big business, doesn't matter if it was a US company and the money stayed in the US, the majority of the profit would go in the hands of a few, not many. Yes, billions of dollars actually go back overseas, but do a little research: over $29 Billion has been spent on US parts, goods, and services this past year, another $2 billion in various US donations and charities. Yes, big bad Toyota is here to make our money, but would you rather they kept all their plants overseas to where they don't "pay a few thousand US workers $20/hour," to where the US parts and supply places lose the $29 billion that was spent on their products, and the various charities having to find another source for their lost $2 billion in donations?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. They're not here to take over. They're here to turn a profit. They're helping more than hurting. I say let them stay. You still have the right to not buy their product.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: bwhite757

Again, you're talking about big business, doesn't matter if it was a US company and the money stayed in the US, the majority of the profit would go in the hands of a few, not many. Yes, billions of dollars actually go back overseas, but do a little research: over $29 Billion has been spent on US parts, goods, and services this past year, another $2 billion in various US donations and charities. Yes, big bad Toyota is here to make our money, but would you rather they kept all their plants overseas to where they don't "pay a few thousand US workers $20/hour," to where the US parts and supply places lose the $29 billion that was spent on their products, and the various charities having to find another source for their lost $2 billion in donations?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. They're not here to take over. They're here to turn a profit. They're helping more than hurting. I say let them stay. You still have the right to not buy their product.
He makes a good point.

And if Toyota comes out with a Hino based diesel in the Tundra, I'd buy one if it wasn't so damn ugly or bland inside. My money goes to the producer of the best product. If Dodge truly comes out with a 1500 diesel then I'll probably be at the dealer trading in my '07 for a fully loaded diesel 1500 (unless they redo the Tundra again for something more interesting looking).

I drove an old Hino box truck 1600 miles from CA to TX when I moved. Thing already had 225,000 miles, I had it redlined about half of the time, pushing it for 10 hours/day, all on low oil (the gauge was apparently broken and I didn't look) and the thing made it here with no problems still. They've proven themselves to me on engine durability at least.

Quick Reply: 2010