3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking of selling my ram....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of selling my ram....

I was thinking of selling my ram but i wasnt sure if i wanted to do that. One reason is gasssss price right here in connecticut is about $3.50 for midgrade and will continue to rise to about $4.50 and it is really draining out of my wallet however i am always easy with my truck. Ihave other car that contains premium gas so it cost money but very good on gas 18/25 mpg and i always averaged more than 23 mpg on that car. That car is a v8 with 300 hp and 325 pounds of torque stock and it has VVT-i engine. What i want from you guys is to give me your opinions to see if i should sell it or not.

My truck has 58,000 miles and averaged about 14 mpg in city and 24 mpg on highway traveling 55 mph only (i never went higher than 55 mph because if i did that then my truck will eat gas so fast and however i did 55 mph and oh my god it is the best on gas.)

Thank you.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking of selling my ram....

well...i don't think your the only one in the boat because I am somewhat in that boat as well...however, my situation is a little different because my other vehicle is more of a gas hog then my ram lol....as much as i hate how the gas prices are, i can't justify trying to sell my truck just to help with gas cost....in the end i'll be pissed at myself for doing so....personally, i don't think you should because if you think about it, who is gonna want to buy a truck with the way gas prices are? I sure wouldn't and i'm sure theres more people that feel that same way...keep your truck so then your not wanting to kick your own *** down the road

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
VA4MEDS
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the truck. You will take a severe beating on the value of it because everyone knows how bad the Hemis suck fuel. We are all in the same boat.

Speed Safely,
AL

Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why sell your truck because gas prices are high? No one will buy it because gas prices are high, so selling defeats the purpose considerig the price of gas is never ever going to drop.
If the truck is paid for, you can buy a lot of gas for the extra cost of insuring and maintaianing a 2nd car.

In calgary Alberta gas is 109 a lt ( reg ) so your cost per gallon is still less than mine, and I use midgrade.

If you need the cash and not the freedom of having a pick up verus renting one, and you get your asking pricem than sell.

I pumping a average of 150.00 cdn a week into my truck, I can write off a % for work use and getting 800 km on the high way per week, no truck, no job.

I'm starting to feel the pinch, but selling my 06 2500 hemi is not an option

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Don't sale it!!! Back in 03 I traded a truck I had then for a small car, because of gas. At that time gas was just a $1.89 gal. Anyway long story short,I had that car for like two weeks, and I hated it!!!! I was stuck with it for another year and a half before I could get me another truck. To me it was not worth the little bit I saved on gas to drive something I did not like.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
masshole
Professional

I wouldn't sell it if I were you. Trust me, you'll be kicking yourself in the ****! You will not be happy in an under-powered vehicle! Gas does suck really bad now and will prolly get worse before it gets any better. Just remember why you bought your truck. I bought my truck for work, power, and above all, saftey! I couldn't ever see myself driving a "POS PRIUS!" My god that's a death trap on wheels. For what? an extra few bucks in cash? NO WAY!

I'll just keep driving my "Hemi" until the last drop and be happy!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

well, im in the same boat. but im in san diego. wanna try to compete with my gas prices? thought so. lol. 87 is (at the cheapest station) $3.47/gallon. we have a honda cr-v that i started using as my daily driver. its way, way better on gas. its up to you though. if you feel you need the $15-20k in addition to saving on gas, go for it! but i sure as hell arent getting rid of our truck. if you really, truly dont need a truck, then do it. but if you need it, might as well keep it. good luck on your decision!!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I paid 3.69 for chevron 89 today...yea it sucked.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 PM
mean4x4machine

ORIGINAL: 04 HEMI 04
My truck has 58,000 miles and averaged about 14 mpg in city and 24 mpg on highway traveling 55 mph only (i never went higher than 55 mph because if i did that then my truck will eat gas so fast and however i did 55 mph and oh my god it is the best on gas.)
Im a newbie here and just purchased an 04 ram reg cab 4x4 hemi (which I have to say is the absolute most fun truck to drive, I am 20 and have had an 03 Z71 and 2 04 Fords and this by far takes the cake!), and I just have one question. You honestly get 24 mpg goin 55 mph? If your serious please tell me because that is exactly how fast Ill be driving from now on. Thank You.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
socaliallstar82
Professional

Do you need the truck for work or is it just for fun? I'm sure there's a couple mods out there for your hemi that can increase gas mileage a little. It's funny how what the dealership advertises and what you get in MPG vary so much. The sticker said 16 street 20 hwy on my 08 5.7 tundra. I'm lucky to see 17, and that's babying it, and average around 15. What's the gas mileage supposed to be for the hemi's?

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my ram....