3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6in lift or 7in lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 AM
C Ram06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6in lift or 7in lift?

i am considering getting a lift for my 2006 ram 5.7l 2wd. and i want to put 35 tires on the truck. i am stuck between getting a 6inch lift or a 7inch lift. i have been looking at the CST 7inch lift, would that be too much lift for 35 tires? i have had a hard time trying to find a 6inch lift for a 2wd Ram, anybody got any suggestions. i also saw that Fabtech has a 6inch lift but where would i buy that lift from? i would appreciate any help!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: 6in lift or 7in lift?

Theres a reason why you are having a hard time finding a 6" lift for a 2wd truck, there's not point, why spend the money for lift and meat when youll still get stuck in the mud and why would you put a lift and meat on if its only gonna stay on the pavement. You should have spent a few more grand on the truck and have gotten a 4x4. Youll be real dissapointed after spending all that money and you still get stuck. The only people that youll impress are morons, trucks guys will just wonder why you didn't buy a 4x4.

Youll prob want a lil larger tires than 35", and hope you won't mind 10mpg

Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

I have the Fabtech 6" and before anyone that doesn't have it makes a comment, yes, it is a true 6" lift. I shopped around on the internet and www.fatbobsgarage.comhad the best price for a few hundred dollars and he had it in stock. Now that I think of it I owe him some pictures. Not sure exactly how the 2wd lift differs, not much I am guessing as I didn't need to extend my driveshaft and the diff had a drop bracket. 35's would look ok on a 7" and they say you shouldn't go over 35 with the IFS anyway. If I could do it again I would look into the 7" with 36 or 37's. If you have any other questions let me know, mind you, mine is a 4wd.

Scott

Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

Theres a reason why you are having a hard time finding a 6" lift for a 2wd truck, there's not point, why spend the money for lift and meat when youll still get stuck in the mud and why would you put a lift and meat on if its only gonna stay on the pavement. You should have spent a few more grand on the truck and have gotten a 4x4. Youll be real dissapointed after spending all that money and you still get stuck. The only people that youll impress are morons, trucks guys will just wonder why you didn't buy a 4x4.

Youll prob want a lil larger tires than 35", and hope you won't mind 10mpg
Thanks for your opinion. Its his truck let him do what he wants.

Now to answer your question.

I have a rough country 6 inch lift on mine, and now wish I would have leveled it and gone with a body lift for cost reasons. But I still love the ride quality of my ride, a lot better than stock. If you are going to get 35 inch tires then you are really going to need to get new gears. I had 4.56 gears put in mine. That seems to be a popular one around here. I feel like I have better power than I did with my stockers. And
ORIGINAL: RamItOne Youll prob want a lil larger tires than 35", and hope you won't mind 10mpg
I get 12 city 18 highway with the new gears. Beter than I ever got before ( thats with 600 lbs in the bed of the truck) If you have any questions just shoot me a PM.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

I agree about lifting a 2WD! Not a Good Idea! But if you are really going to lift it 7" then don't put 35" tires on it because they will look like stock 33" ! They will look tiny! I only have a 6" lift and have 37" mudders! And if I don't put it in 4wd It would get stuck super easy!

[IMG]local://upfiles/79459/983F25AB943842B49F6A7460D232A993.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 AM
justntexas07
Veteran

While agree you shouldn't lift a 2wd, it's your truck and you can do whatever you want to with it. As far as the part about spending money on your truck and not going mudding, again, it's your truck. If you want to spend $3000 on your truck by lifting, wheels and tires and never go offroad, that's your choice. It's completely different when mommy and daddy buy it, you can tear it up and not care, but once you start paying for everything on your own, you tend to take better care of your vehicle.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
C Ram06

thanks for all the great info from all! yea i'm not big on going 4 wheeling so it propably will never see the mud. my truck will be more of a show truck if that helps you out. of course i will drive it. so gears, what gear size should i get if i lift it 7in and put 37's on it. i talked to a tech guy and he said that if i would to put a 7in lift on i would also need to add a 3in inch body lift is that true? or is he trying to make me buy more stuff!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

id do 3 " air bags and a body lift be easier with a 2wd plus airbags u can change thye height

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
RamItOne

OE I said if you go larger than 35s

As for the opinion I believe its shared by most, prolly cause its logical.
Kinda like putting a turbo on a 4.7, shoulda bought a hemi instead.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: oefootball_70

I have a rough country 6 inch lift on mine, and now wish I would have leveled it and gone with a body lift for cost reasons. But I still love the ride quality of my ride, a lot better than stock.
Trust me, in the long run you'll be glad you got the suspension lift. I've had three trucks I put body lifts on before deciding to keep my current truck longer than I usually keep them and spending the extra on a suspension lift. All I can say is, I'll only be doing suspension lifts from now on. The handling both on & off road is night & day different. I always thought getting bounced all around the cab off road was the price of lifting a truck. Not anymore! And I too, agree, the ride with my Rancho kit with Rancho shocks is much better than it even was stock...

Quick Reply: 6in lift or 7in lift?