3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Subwoofer choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Pete J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Subwoofer choices

Are there subs which produce a delayed low frequency sound? For example, what if I recorded a single pluck of note on a bass guitar onto a CD and played the CD in my truck. The single note is transmitted via a line level signal from the outputs of the HU to the amplifier and then the signal is sent to the sub in the form of AC voltage. The sub then receives the signal at the binding posts.

From the point the signal reaches the binding posts to when the listener hears it, what part or parts of the subwoofer would cause a delay to occur?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM
yullose

ORIGINAL: Pete J

With sub performance being a combination of T/S specs, enclosure size/type/location, available power and tuning, using the same size enclosure for subs with different T/S specifications would yield completely different results.
yes different enclosuers do produce different results but when an enclosure is within manufactuer specs the woofer will perform close to its peak capabilities, and what people like is objective. He asked for OPINIONS and that is what I gave my opinion so you can read all the spec sheets you want and copy all the measurements you want, but it all comes down to what you think sounds best in your truck not the tests performed in a lab. So if you are done critisizing my every statement thank you for not beliving everything you here and challenging a source, but this is a post on preference and mine is alpine given the two choices he provided.

GOOD DAY SIR[sm=shades.gif]

Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
satansfx

Im all for opinions, in which I gave my opinion on what to use.

But just for $hits and giggles....

Name:  alpineplot.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  95.2 KB

Doesn't look too interesting to me

Old 04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
satansfx

And the comparison... since we all like graphs

Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  105.4 KB

Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Pete J

ORIGINAL: satansfx

Im all for opinions, in which I gave my opinion on what to use.

But just for $hits and giggles....

Doesn't look too interesting to me
Probably because the Type R makes a very poor choice for a small sealed enclosure sub. If someone wanted "peak performance" from a Type R they would be looking at a large vented enclosure.Add ina 80hz crossover in WinISD and see how far that response curve drops.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definetly go with a type r is you can afford it. I mean you get what you pay for and a $90 pioneer isn't going to sound near as good as a $200 alpine. Everyone thinks subs judt go boom but theres a difference between sounding perfect to being loud and sloppy. I had a mtx 4500 which is cheap and that thing was so loose i couldn't believe it. now i got the alpine type r and this thing is loud and percise plus it can take alot mor power than its rated. Ive seen them take 1000watts rms. And also those max watts you are sayng the pioneer can handle is worth less. Always look at the rms to find out what amp to get. Oh and i would spend more money and get a really good amp becuase the amp is even more important than the sub. I have a alpin v-power that i have wired at 2 0hms and it doesn't even get warm.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM
GLOK1132

thank you all for your imput. i will probable go with the alpines. im sorry for the typo i ment .65. and the alpine subs are 900 watt peak power. the amp i will go with is a kenwood 1000 watt mono channel, and my deck is a kenwood KDC-MP735U. the alpine has a RMS of 30-500 and frequency response from 30Hz to 700Hz. would i be better off going with the 2 or 4 ohm sub. i dont want the "loudest" to say, but i want to move the most air.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

the ohms is how you wire it but i would go with a little bit better amp. But if it truelly is a 1000rms amp wire it to 4 ohms so you dont over power the sub. Just a quick lesson, subs can be either single voice coil or dual. Is its a dual 2 ohm it can be wired to 4ohms or 1 ohm is its a dual 4 ohm it can be wired to a 2 ohm or 8 ohm. the less the ohm the easier the amp has to work so it puts out its makes power but will over heat. Ohms are pretty hard to explain but heres a link to wire the sub and amp with different ohms.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningc...rs_wiring.html

Also the peak power is just the amount of power a sub can take in a quick burst like a real quick burp. Most subs cannot handle there peak power if they are given it for a longer period of time. Alpine makes a mrp-m500 amp that would probably be better for the type e's. its $150 on onlinecarstereo.com and $200 everywhere else. also look there for subs becuase i got my type r for $130 which is way cheap.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Pete J

A subwoofer can handle far more thermally than the rated "peak power" if you are playing music. The RMS and Peak Power ratings arederived from feedinga sine waveto thesub which is playing free air.The dynamic nature of musicis completely different than the continuous nature of sine waves.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

well mechanically a cheap sub cannot handle a steady current of its rated peak power. The surround would rip since most cheap subs use foam. Anywai i doubt anyone hear would spens the money on a mp that pust out 1500rms. My mtx 4500 started bottoming out when i put it on my new amp which was wired to 4ohms which is only 300rms. Not to mention the nasty smell that was in my truck from the voice coils burning up.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer choices