3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Subwoofer choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Subwoofer choices

peak power is nothing to pay attention to at all. It is a meaningless number that most companies just pull out of their *** cough sony cough cough. True ratings as far as "output" are derived from RMS. or Root mean square which is basically an average of the power output of the amp. Also known as continuous output. Peak means nothign. I'll say it again peak means nothing. You could feed a 50 dollar sony sub 10k watts and when it blows say well that must be the peak power rating lol. it's a stupid number

as for everyone saying go with type r's. while yes they are a better sub as far as power handling goes they are not meant for small sealed enclosures. so ur just wasting ur time by getting one. I'm a big fan of the type s and that elemental designs sub someone posted earlier.

My judgement of pioneer subs comes from experience with them. I have opportunity to listen to many of them and IMO for the same price you get a much better sound quality and overall better performance out of subs made by comanies other than pioneer. pioneer makes good high end speakers and head units but their subs arn't a big part of the company.

T/S or thiele small parameters arn't really that important when it comes to judging a subwoofer. They are more taken into account for building an enclosure for the sub. It gets really complicated and strange when you try to build boxes to match all the factory specs including t/s parameters. although it is definately worth it to do in the long run. but the biggest thing sto pay attention to are the volume recommended and the port tuning recommended. if those two are matched fairly well then you will have a sub performing very close to its best. take into account t/s parameters and you will be at the best. I don't fully understand how to build a box to t/s parameters yet either. it's ridiculously complicated. but when I do the audio install in the new truck. you shall see. for i'm not going to half **** it with junk equipment and too small enclosures like what I see so much. going for premium equipment and premium setup. all i need are two letters to describe it all JL.

Ohms don't matter for performance. that's all in wiring. which i'm not going to go into how to wire voice coils to get what resistance. you can find calculators for that on soo many websites. best one i use is www.rockfordfosgate.com

Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

jl is overrated. just because they make the loudest subs on the block (not really) doesnt mean theyre the best. no sub is the best. but in my opinion, i feel that eclipse, memphis and, mtx subs are the top 3 in that order. then coming in a close 4th would be rockford then 5th would be jl. again, thats my own personal opinion.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
GLOK1132

i owned a set of JL's once. i will never make that mistake again. those subs blew the second weak i had them. i wasnt even playing rap or techno music at the time, i was playing rock. and it was a song that didnt even have alot of base. then i bought some pioneer subs and those could stand what ever i threw at em. i would go with those same subs in my new truck but i dont have enough space. and i know somebody will tell me that i wired the JL's wrong but i didnt, thy just sucked.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

lol, that reminds me of my jl 12w6v2's i had. i put one in to play. rms on it was 600, i pushed 500 to it. and no, i gotit wired correctly by a pro. the sub at first sounded nice. i had it for about a month with me saying "wow, jl's ARE the best!" but then not too long after, the sub started sounding all muddy. i have an aftermarket head unit (pioneer), and everything was wired correctly. the sql of the jl for me wasbnt what it was all hyped up to be. thats why im not a jl fan. plus, i think thats its just a big bandwagon. kinda like when a team wins the super bowl or world series and then a lot of people start to like them for that then hate them if they lose. ill admit, i was on that jl bandwagon for a bit, but then realized that theyre not the best (to me). but if i absolutely had to pick it over any other sub other than the ones i listed befor eit, i 100% would just because it is a better quality subwoofer (foam and cone are strong) compared to many other brands.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: GLOK1132

i owned a set of JL's once. i will never make that mistake again. those subs blew the second weak i had them. i wasnt even playing rap or techno music at the time, i was playing rock. and it was a song that didnt even have alot of base. then i bought some pioneer subs and those could stand what ever i threw at em. i would go with those same subs in my new truck but i dont have enough space. and i know somebody will tell me that i wired the JL's wrong but i didnt, thy just sucked.
common misconception that you have to be pushing subs hard to blow them. I could play a rock music song with an amp that has 10 watts rms and I could easily blow a jl w7 in mebbe ten minutes. It's all in setup and not sending them a distorted signal.

I've had a 12w3 for about three years now and beat the **** out of it every day and it has yet to lose a single bit of performance over the time i've had it. you saying that jl sucks because of one sub being bad is like some guy coming on here saying he bought a dodge truck once and it was a pos and now he buys chevy all the tiem. it's just as stupid as that.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM
InhumaneTorture

LOL on the 6.5 - I missted that.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 PM
InhumaneTorture

Well, when seeking advice on the internet you can take "trust me" for whatever it is worth. I honestly don't have time to spend digging up the specs on both products to post here, however, I would encourage anyone looking to buy either product to do their homework. I posted my background only to help validate my opinion. Take that for what it's worth - just an opinion, that's it.

All else i'll add is to look through the opinions in the other (many) replies and you won't find strong supporters for the Pioneers. I have seen first hand the difference in build quality. You don't find many Pioneer subs competing in any class of any competition and when they do, they don't have a track record for winning. Alpines do. If you want proof, look it up. Here's a couple top sites to aide you in your research:
http://www.soundoff.org/
http://www.iasca.com/

I have not bothered to bench test Pioneer subs and have no reason to ever do so. They are known to make a great head units and I have owned many, but their amps and subs are low end and sorry to dissapoint, but that is somewhat known in the industry.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 PM
InhumaneTorture

I have to ask, what is your experience with Pioneer subs? Do you work for Pioneer? You seem to be quite defensive about them. If people here had good experiences with their subwoofers don't you think they would post rave reviews?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 PM
suckmyhemi07
Rookie

I personally LOVED my Infinity Kappa 12s I had in my old 94 Ranger (RIP) but since i got a shallow box that fits under the rear seats of my quad cab...i had to by a thinner woofer...went with Kicker Comp 12s and I like em...not an overpowering sound at all due to the tiny air space in the box but they give ya good bump...im happy with em

Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

yes!! i had 2 kappa perfect 10.1's! lol. kappa's were great to me! but i accidentally wired one wrong (+) to (-) and it blew. by the time i got it out to replace it and got a new one back, we already traded the old ram in for a new one.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer choices