3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing Plugs, SUX!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Kebo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Plugs, SUX!

Well 3 1/2 hours later........it was done. All sixteen changed and I didn't break anything. The truck started right up and purred like a kitten. Gotta say, those back 2 plugs on both sides was a beeoottcchh! I am all sore today from looking like a contortionist trying to get to them. But the 'ole girl should be good for another 50k. It had 52k on the odo when I changed them, and they needed to be changed. They were not burnt too bad, but burnt nontheless. Hopefully I will see a little better gas mileage. Tools used:

3/8" Ratchet
10mm socket
1 x swivel
4" extension
8" extention
5/8" Spark Plug socket
Moving blanket - Folded up and put on top of the radiator to cushion my knees
Old sheet - Placed on the front bumper to stand on
Fluoresent drop light

Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing Plugs, SUX!

Recommended interval is 30K. I plan to let mine go past that while checking them from time to time after 30K. The plugs in mine had 86K and were seriously in need.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I did EVERYTHING myself except for the tranny fluid (too big a mess) at 30K. At 60K, I'll be doing everything myself EXCEPT the tranny fluid and plugs. It'll be the first time in my life (almost 25 years of vehicle ownership) I pay someone to change plugs, which shows what a total PIA it is in the Hemi...[:@]

Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aw, c'mon, Hammer -- you don't like a tranny-fluid shower? I did my tranny fluid, mostly for the experience. It still saved me about eighty bux or so, and frankly, it wasn't that bad. I did pay to have the plugs done, but I may tackle that myself next time. I will do the plugs in the 300 -- it's way more accessible.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

I did EVERYTHING myself except for the tranny fluid (too big a mess) at 30K. At 60K, I'll be doing everything myself EXCEPT the tranny fluid and plugs. It'll be the first time in my life (almost 25 years of vehicle ownership) I pay someone to change plugs, which shows what a total PIA it is in the Hemi...[:@]
Make sure you watch them do it, I see all the time that dealers and mechanics will skip plugs because they are too lazy to attempt to reach them.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

a lil tip when changing the plugs, or evenputting on different valve covers; is to drop the wheel well liners. It is alot easier to get to the plugs or valve cover bolts.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

you don't like a tranny-fluid shower
man imagine what this could mean on another site....

ask horse apples, he's got changing the plugs down to a science....

Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
F106A

I remember that knuckle-buster experience on my 96 Chevy Blazer. DURING the first change I borrowed the wife's car and drove down to NAPA and bought an articilating ratchet! I couldn't wait for the second plug change! Can't wait to try it on the Dodge! I agree with the advice to drop the wheel-well liners. That helped on the Chevy.

One question though. What plugs did you use?

Mark

(BTW, this is my first post to the forum! Been lurking for some time and just decided to join!)

Old 04-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Kebo
Professional

ORIGINAL: F106A

I remember that knuckle-buster experience on my 96 Chevy Blazer. DURING the first change I borrowed the wife's car and drove down to NAPA and bought an articilating ratchet! I couldn't wait for the second plug change! Can't wait to try it on the Dodge! I agree with the advice to drop the wheel-well liners. That helped on the Chevy.

Mark

(BTW, this is my first post to the forum! Been lurking for some time and just decided to join!)
I installed the same as OEM Champion copper plugs. I had seen enough people that had problems with either Iridium or Platinums that I just decided to put back in what it came with originally. Maybe it is my imagination, but the truck does seem to have a little more pep than it did with the old plugs.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Kebo

ORIGINAL: F106A

Mark

I installed the same as OEM Champion copper plugs. I had seen enough people that had problems with either Iridium or Platinums that I just decided to put back in what it came with originally. Maybe it is my imagination, but the truck does seem to have a little more pep than it did with the old plugs.
yea, use the stock plugs. I decided to try platinums when I changed my plugs at 33,000mi(for testing) im close to 38,000 mi now and I recently pulled my plugs to do some engine work and here is what I noticed with the autolite platinums; my milage went down about 2 mpg, my idle seemed to fluctuate more, and with only about 5,000mi on them they were already wore about the same as the stock plugs that had 33,000 mi. When my engine goes backtogether I will be using the OEM champion plugs

Quick Reply: Changing Plugs, SUX!