3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body Lift Guys????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
06Mopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Lift Guys????????

Im thinkin about putting the PA 3" body lift on my truck but my question is did yall also install the Gap Guards that are optional to buy????? Front and Rear?????

Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
nuckingfuts22
Professional
Default RE: Body Lift Guys????????

I would install the Gap Guards because if you dont you have a really large gap and that doesnt really look to good. But for the most part is an appearance thing.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Personal opinion: dont bother with a body lift. Over time they squeak and make a ton of noise, and you feel a mess of body roll more than a suspension lift. Why not save your $ and do a suspension lift?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Scott06HEMI
Professional

I thought about buying gap guards for mine but after looking at the gap guards they seel with the kit for an extra $89.00, it just looks like a mudflap for an 18wheeler cut into strips. I work for a trucking company and that is exactly what a $4.00 mudflad would look like. If I were going to spend that much I'd get the wheel well covers that fill the entire well.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
06Mopar
Professional

Thanks guys

Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Scott06HEMI
Professional

And suspension lifts are not for everyone. I didn't think I needed to shell out $1200 - $1500 to get a few extra inches of lift. I've heard bad things about the stress caused by streatching the drive shaft etc and adding the extra stress of larger tires on top of that. I only needed a few inches to make sure the 35s didn't rub the fender wells when I went off road. I can see the advantage of suspension lifts but it depends on why you are lifting the truck. If you just want to clear the bigger tires in an average offroad experience then a body lift is the way to go...it doesn't change the ride quailty on the street and gives the clearance for the tires. The suspension lift would help with the clearance issue and help with the ride quality for serious offroading but it would most likely change the ride quality on the street where most trucks spend the majority of the time. Neither however will help with how deep of mud you can thru because neither will raise the axles which is the first thing that gets stuck in the mud anyways. I'd say think of your reasons to want to lift the truck and decide if you are doing it more for looks and a little functionality(body lift) or if you are doing it more for the advantages of using the truck in a much more agressive offroad experience(suspension lift).

or am I completely wrong on this line of thinking?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
mmstar23
Champion

my body lift came with my truck when i bought it....it has the bumper relocators and gap guards....i think it would terrible without the gap guards. but like mentioned before its a rubber flap....im sure you can buy large sections for a fraction of the price and cut it...drill some holes to put the pins in and your done

Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've done body lifts on three of my trucks. The kit for the first didn't come with the bumper relocation brackets or the well liners. I was on the phone the same day I finished the install, ordering the bumper kit. Within a week, after I determined I could watch a ballgame through the gap between the frame and the bed, I ordered the well liners. The next two kits came with the bumper brackets and the well liners were ordered at the same time.

And Scott06, join us in the off-road section, I'm going to start a thread in the next day or two about the different ways to lift your truck with the pluses and minuses of each...

Old 04-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Scott06HEMI
Professional

Hammer, PM me a link to it when it gets started and congrats on the moderator title.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Body lifts are great for the $$! And you don't have to worry about any front end problems! Even with 37" tires on my truck I don't notice much difference in handling from when it was stock! No body roll in my opinion! I also chaged out the stock shocks so that probably helped a bit! Go with the gap guards! It looks a lot better! It took me about 3 months to install mine and I am really happy I did because it looks a lot better!

Notice the gap on the attachment and you can't see it in the larger picture!

[IMG]local://upfiles/79459/AEDBEBF9340144FEB17F0A619F4667A4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Body Lift Guys????????