3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers

i just got new speakers for my truck..just the fronts for now though.....3 way pioneers...300W. replaced the old ones....werent factory.....

my question is, is that when they hit i still get a crackle.....why? just plain ol' too loud....which its not very loud when it does this.....do i need a better head unit? i have a JVC in but should i get better? my h/u isnt the greatest. or should i hook them up to an amp? i have an amp...a 260W laying around....if i hook that up to my door speakers will that take care of my problem....and if it does take care of the problem can i hook my rear doors and my front doors to this one amp or no?

thanks for the help im not great in the sound department.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 AM
damram1980
Professional
Default RE: speakers

did u do door panels behind the 6x9's? matting? when i did mine it ended up being a loose door panel that didnt click right, after i took it back apart and opened up the clips i figured might as well put some mating in there, it really improved the lows i think

Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 AM
cpukramer
Captain

Also .. check to make sure that the wiring is not touching any of the metal in the door, that can cause crackling and popping. Make sure that you hooked the speakers up in the correct polarity as well (+/-)

Old 04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
mmstar23
Champion

how would i be sure of that?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
cpukramer
Captain

well ... you would check the wiring diagram that came with your head unit (it will tell you which wire is + and which one is -). ... each pair of wires going to the speakers is marked (one has a stripe on it, and the other doesn't). For example, on the right front speaker check which wire is connected to the right front + out of the head unit (stripe or no stripe), then pull the speaker out and make sure that you have it hooked up the same way there. There should be a + and - engraved in to the speaker next to the connectors.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
satansfx

you would have to look at the back of the speaker and even behind the HU

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
mmstar23
Champion

im pretty sure almost positive its hooked up right. and all i was wondering about was when it hits hard. they sound fine and all but after you reach a certain volume, the bass crackles/pops...i cant explain the sound but im sure you know what im talking about. i was wondering if a better head unit would help and if i hooked them up to amp....if that would correct this.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
cpukramer
Captain

it may ... but generally speaking when go with an aftermarket head-unit you will lose bass in the standard speakers. The sound will be much crisper and cleaner, but for the bass it generally assumes that you will have subs. Have you thought about throwing 1 or 2 subs under your back seats? It's really not hard to do at all, and trust me you will LOVE it. also, how many watts does your head unit put out and how many watts are your speakers rated for?

EDIT: I just re-read your original post and noticed that you only replaced the front two speakers ... you need to make sure that the impedence of the front speakers is the same as the impedence of the rear OEM speakers. I did have this issue when I put my fronts in ... I was still waiting for the new rears and I didn't realize that the impedence was different. I BELIEVE that the impedence of the OEMs is 4 ohms but don't quote me on that. This may very well be your culprit.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:37 PM
satansfx

one more thing.... did you wire the speakers to the terminals? or did you get a wire block from like crutchfield or something? If could even be 1 strand of copper from either +/- thats touching the other side when the volume is turned up and causing the popping.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM
RyanGSP

Your speakers are crackling because of the H/U you need to run those speakers off an amp to get clean crisp quality up to 300 watts not off the deck.

Quick Reply: speakers