3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Are Cold air intakes worth the money.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Are Cold air intakes worth the money.

ORIGINAL: WhiteRam

Here's a question..... I was thinking about toying with a "ram-airish" tube from the fog light hole, up towards the stock air filter box? Any thoughts?
Not planning on tackling any deep water or mud, I take it...

Old 05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
largetony86
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What most people fail to realize when it comes to CAI's and exhaust systems is that any horsepower gains will be at high RPM's so unless you ride around at full throttle for extended periods, you won't see much gain. I'm going to add a Dynomax cat back for sound but what most truck owners want (although they don't really know it) is torque. Thats what gets you going from a stop and helps you tow your boat or get out of that rut when you're 4 wheelin'. A good set of headers is what you need for useable performance andfuel economy gains. CAI's certainly won't hurt your performance but don't really add much. My truck has what is esentially a factory cold air set-up so I'm just going to add a high flow filter to that.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

Yeah, I did notice a pretty decent difference when I slapped my Trueflow XDI on mine. Sure it makes fun sounds and such, but they do help.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kniner

The service man at the dealership told me not to get rid of the big air box on my 4.7 stating that it is why the truck responds so quickly saying something like the fact that it stores air inside the box. But they do offer the CAI system if I want one from them. Go figure.
Man, do any dealers hire "car guys" anymore? OF COURSE the airbox stores air! It's an open box. Certainly ain't a vacuum. An intake kit in conjunction with improved exhaust probably helps throttle response, maybe mileage. Not nearly what they'd have you believe. Like the man said, "Depends on what you're looking for..."

Old 05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

ORIGINAL: WhiteRam

Here's a question..... I was thinking about toying with a "ram-airish" tube from the fog light hole, up towards the stock air filter box? Any thoughts?
Not planning on tackling any deep water or mud, I take it...
Man, no lie! Even a heavy splash into it would be a bad thing.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

I loved my CAI intake on my last truck ('02 5.9L gasser), and of course I love my volant on this truck, little different story though.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 PM
petes4x4hemi

I just put on my air-raid cold air intake system and a super 40 flow master single in duel out. Made a nice difference from stock. Will be changing plugs NEEDS THEM 52,000 and they were never changed.And wires. Thinking aboutcomputer performanceprogrammer as well.

Quick Reply: Are Cold air intakes worth the money.