3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What about Hydrogen generator (HHO generator)????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:35 PM
heirbound
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about Hydrogen generator (HHO generator)????

What do you all have to say about hydrogen generators?
I have a 06' ram 1500 mega cab 5.7 hemi.
I am about to get a supership flashpaq or cortex not sure yet.
I want to improve the mpg to justify not getting rid of my truck.
During the week I drive about 230-240 miles with my job.
I do have a cold air intake which gave me about a 1 mpg better.
Right now I'm about 14mpg. What if I could increase my mpg by atleast 30%?
What are the long term effects of the HHO generators, and could it make me consume more fuel?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 03:57 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker
Default RE: What about Hydrogen generator (HHO generator)????

If these types of gadgets actually worked, dont you think they would be used by automakers now or more mainstream? I wouldnt bother wasting your time or money on it.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked into it a lot and have come to the conclusion to NOT experiment with these devices, and the biggest turn off was that there's no way to know about long-term damage that might be being done if you use one.

30% is a stretch, you're not going to see that on a big V8 Hemi, on a small 4-Bobber maybe, the fact is, the size of the generator you need to produce the amount of Hydroxy would be very large, and pull a fair amount of power for a V8. You also have the problem with your advanced computer on your truck. If you introduce Hydroxy Gas, you're going to clean the carbon emissions, which is what your O2 sensors look for in your exhaust. Your computer is going to think that you are running too lean and dump more gas into the engine, giving you less MPG's. Thus you'll also have to hook up a Dual EFIE chip to trick the computer into thinking your engine is running too rich so it pulls back on the fuel. This also adds another variable into the mix, and if you don't have your adjustments correct, or if the chip fails you're going to cause some serious engine damage.

If I had a little beater I would do it just for S&G's, but I'm not going to risk it on my $20k truck. Not for MAYBE a 5-10% gain in fuel mileage.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The technology works, but not to the degree that most claim. My buddy has a '97 Pathfinder, kinda his weekend beat-around type vehicle that we experimented on about eight months ago. Got the plans off the 'net, built and installed one.
Hisevery-day use mileage increased from 17 to about 21 mpg on a pretty regular basis.
It's enough, howeverthat I am planning on building and installing one on my Grand Cherokee daily driver. I've been holding out to see if there have been any ill effects on the Pathfinder...

Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 AM
damien1023
Veteran

you know, i went with my friend to his uncles house yesterday and their mechanic friend was there.. he actually had one of these systems installed on his benz, it was an older one probably late 80's early 90's because it had a carb on it. The set up looked pretty neat and cheesy at the same time. I have not read a whole lot about these systems but have seen enough. He had 3 mason jars under the hood in some type of metal basket to secure them in with all the wiring and plumbing as well as an on/off switch inside the car. It looked pretty neat, you could hear the engine quiet down a little when he turned it on, he showed me that it was hydrogen by putting some in a plastic bottle and blowing it up which i think he liked more then the whole concept itself. Anyway, he claimed an increase of like 15mpg. I dont know the guy that well so no way i will stand behind the claim but it was pretty cool actually seeing it in action. Maybe it helps more on a car with a carb? not too sure..

Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Matt99
Champion

i FINALLY got the low down on this HHO (H20, water) setup from my uncle which tried it on his Ram worktruck, 5.7 not MDS

He is an engineer who actually designs the setups for hospital air/nitro/etc tanks, and all of that good stuff....He seems like he would have plenty enough knowledge to make this work (has an AWESOME workshop)...bought the kit, used professional equipment instead of local hardware shop parts...tried three different setups, and tested tested tested the results....

Virtually NO help...Supposedly it has the placebo effect, people drive better and get gains, but he used cruise on the same road every time to eliminate human error...He tricked me into thinking it was a NOS setup at first, looks cool...He thinks that it actually began to destroy his engine, having all kinds of trouble out of it-suggestion?
Octane booster if you want a change that bad, an engine is designed by hundreds of people to get the highest possible legal and safe mileage, a few bolt ons help (CAI, programmer) but your foot is the biggest bolt on for MPG gains

Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

ORIGINAL: Matt99
but your foot is the biggest bolt on for MPG gains
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 PM
racin90
Rookie

I totally agree. I know 5 guys who tried these. Spent weeks and weeks fine tuning this and that and end result............dont do it!! Waste of money. Waste of time. In todays cars you cannot induce this kind of thing as the computer will freak and try to roll more fuel into the system thereby making this a worst solution. Older cars with carbs will work. Gains?? Doubt it. Older cars will run on alot more stuff as well and not hurt them but its all in your head if you think its worth it. Placebo was a good definition of this device. Also..where i work.......some dude coaxed my boss into buying similiar devices to put in our over the road trucks. $2500 a piece!!!!!! And only good for 80,000 miles then anther $1500 for a replacement canister. Forwhat he said was a 8 percent gain.People are making a killing sellign stuff that doesnt work.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
kenihemi
All Star

Hydrogen is safe.

Ask these folks

http://www.vidicom-tv.com/tohiburg.htm

Old 07-07-2008, 04:32 PM
bwhite757
All Star

I'm building a small 1 cell for my lawnmower just for S&G's... we'll see... lol

Quick Reply: What about Hydrogen generator (HHO generator)????