3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E3 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:18 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

performance wise, iridiums won't really get you anything. spark plugs odn't get you anything unless you got some other performance mods that warrant a "better" spark. they will last a whole hell of a lot longer though. it seems some trucks like them some don't, and it's not model specific, it's truck specific.
if you put iridiums in and your truck doesn't hate them, you'll never change plugs again.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 AM
mmstar23
Champion

alright thanks. if its only about longevity, then NGK coppers are going back in. id rather not do plug changes once a month because my truck doesnt like that plug. my truck ran fine on the NGK coppers and putting them back in wont be playing a guessing game

Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on the NGK coppers. I run the V-power copper plugs in my Mustang. The Hemi is too new yet for plugs @ 2500 miles.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
MAX15004

I've looked into The Iridium vs Copper debate. In my situation cost is an issue and if my engine won't benefit from the iridium plugs why pay for it.

Based on what I've been able to determine, If your not running a high performance engine then the copper / stock plug is the way to go. Just make sure to replaced regularly. It does appear to be true that iridiums provide a hotter spark and more power when ran a Supercharged engine, but not in a stock engine. So definitely not worth the extra dollars also iridium may not last as long as coppers and they cost twice as much.
also I don't know if this is true but read , that " iridiums fowl entirely too easy."

Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Outlaws

Stick with OEM plugs. Its one thing to get different brands, but at least get the equivalent plug. Using different plugs is a great way to make a perfectly good engine run like crap. Not everything that is aftermarket or "performance" is better.

From the 2004 Factory service manual:
CAUTION: The 4.7L V–8 engine is equipped with
copper core ground electrode spark plugs. They
must be replaced with the same type/number spark
plug as the original. If another spark plug is substi-
tuted, pre-ignition will result.

Last edited by Outlaws; 08-31-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: E3 spark plugs