3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

drowned engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
kutz420
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: drowned engine

You guys need to find some sense of adventure

Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh yea, sometimes you can't get it to run for 10 mins. and it'll sputter and stahl. That's OK, just means there is still a lot of water in there. If that happens, just drain the oil then, don't attempt to restart it until you empty the oil and put in 50/50 mix again.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant post... test...

Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he didn't hydrolock it. he said stalled. does it still crank? stalled doesn't imply the kind of feeling a hydrolock would give you, that really crappy scared sh!tless feeling that you have just killed something. do what hammer said.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually thats what happens when you HYDRO LOCK... the engine STOPS... or "STALLS" and fails to crank over or restart. So yeahh... I think he HYDRO locked.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Ifucantdodgeitramit

ok lets say that I hydro locked, will the engine still turn, because I tried to restart it after 24 hours and the engine turns but there is no egnition, so maybe I did not hydrolock.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Ifucantdodgeitramit

To me the noise it makes is identical to when you drown an ATV.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Ifucantdodgeitramit

and this message is for BEN D, I know it was stupid but I am not exagerating my weels were compleatly covered, the water was so high that the oter cars in the parking were filled with water, tere was a mustang in the lot and the water reached it to the door handle. I even got some water in my cab. I will post some pictures as soon as my friend sends them to me. So I WAS NOT EXAGERATING.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I wouldn't admit to that.... I was tryin to help you out. just makes you sound stupider knowing you did it.

cuz u basically had the thing up to mebbe a fwe inches. maybe like six inches lower than ur air intake. any faster than a slow crawl is asking for it. altho just driving in water that deep for any reason other than an emergency is just a dee dee deee type of thing.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
Actually thats what happens when you HYDRO LOCK... the engine STOPS... or "STALLS" and fails to crank over or restart. So yeahh... I think he HYDRO locked.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Come one now Nick, I know what hydrolock is. But to me stalls implies "clunk clunk clunk..stop" like the sound they put in movies when a motor dies. A hydrolock would be "CLUNK....oh ****".

Anyway, it still turns over, that's good news. So now...do what hammer said. you probably took some life out of your engine, but it seems it'll be okay.

Two things to note if you were going through the water full throttle:
1. you're an idiot, LOL. what were you thinking?? though it's gonna be a good "watch this y'all" type of story if the truck makes it. if not, don't ever mention this happened again.

2. if the engine managed to stay revved up, keeping your foot on the floor might have been what saved your ***. a high revving engine is a bit more difficult to hydrolock IF THE INTAKE IS NOT COMPLETELY SUBMERGED. In your case, I don't think it was...cuz then it wouldn't be cranking.

w00t! super long post made it, first try!

Quick Reply: drowned engine