3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

drowned engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the plugs to make sure...especially since you went through door deep water at high speed. Hydro-locked engines will turn over if the water is let out...either through damage(head gasket, valves, connecting rods, etc) or by pulling plugs and using the piston to push the water out like the others said.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kutz, in water I use a boat for adventure, LOL!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on using a boat

Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Ifucantdodgeitramit

OK guys, Here is the verdict, I checked the oil and no water in it , then I pulled out the plugs and turned over the engine, no water came out. At this point I replaced the spark plugs and fired up the engine. Who ever told me that I had Hydrolock, you guys were right, my engine was idling unballaced and was rocking like hell, a few secounds later it took its last stroke and I lost a great engine (I killed it and I feel really bad, sad and stupid). My mechanic said that I have 3 blocked pistons, broken rods, a craked crank-shaft, and scrached cylenders. This is one Hemi that will unfortunetly never roar again( again my stupid fault). However in all this bad luck and stupidity I have had good luck, my engine had 120 000 KM, I found an engine with 60 000KM in good condition for 2500$(I got a good price), by changing the bushings gaskets and rings, with a good cleaning I will get a newer engine than I originaly had. Now that the engine is out of the truck I will paint the block the original HEMI orange, add some headers and get the superchip. Because the severe thunder shower was an act of nature and IT WAS NOT MY FAULT, the insurance is paying for it all. So all in all I think that a bad situation became a good situation.

Last edited by Ifucantdodgeitramit; 08-06-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
mmstar23
Champion

sucks that you lost your engine. what the hell did you tell the insurance company that they are paying for all of it?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Ifucantdodgeitramit

I told them that there was a severe thundershower and within 2 hours there was at least 3 feet of water in the parking lot were my truck was parked. So I tried to do the smart thing and move my truck and in the process the truck stalled. My dealer is doing the evaluation as we speek and they confirmed that my HEMI did indeed drown. The insurance ok'ed the whole thing, and thats what really happened.

Last edited by Ifucantdodgeitramit; 08-06-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
Come one now Nick, I know what hydrolock is. But to me stalls implies "clunk clunk clunk..stop" like the sound they put in movies when a motor dies. A hydrolock would be "CLUNK....oh ****".

Anyway, it still turns over, that's good news. So now...do what hammer said. you probably took some life out of your engine, but it seems it'll be okay.

Two things to note if you were going through the water full throttle:
1. you're an idiot, LOL. what were you thinking?? though it's gonna be a good "watch this y'all" type of story if the truck makes it. if not, don't ever mention this happened again.

2. if the engine managed to stay revved up, keeping your foot on the floor might have been what saved your ***. a high revving engine is a bit more difficult to hydrolock IF THE INTAKE IS NOT COMPLETELY SUBMERGED. In your case, I don't think it was...cuz then it wouldn't be cranking.

w00t! super long post made it, first try!
Yup...3 feet of water in a truck not modded for it is a no no

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 08-06-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: I'm a toolshed..
Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ifucantdodgeitramit
OK guys, Here is the verdict, I checked the oil and no water in it , then I pulled out the plugs and turned over the engine, no water came out. At this point I replaced the spark plugs and fired up the engine. Who ever told me that I had Hydrolock, you guys were right, my engine was idling unballaced and was rocking like hell, a few secounds later it took its last stroke and I lost a great engine (I killed it and I feel really bad, sad and stupid). My mechanic said that I have 3 blocked pistons, broken rods, a craked crank-shaft, and scrached cylenders. This is one Hemi that will unfortunetly never roar again( again my stupid fault). However in all this bad luck and stupidity I have had good luck, my engine had 120 000 KM, I found an engine with 60 000KM in good condition for 2500$(I got a good price), by changing the bushings gaskets and rings, with a good cleaning I will get a newer engine than I originaly had. Now that the engine is out of the truck I will paint the block the original HEMI orange, add some headers and get the superchip. Because the severe thunder shower was an act of nature and IT WAS NOT MY FAULT.lol. the insurance is paying for it all. So all in all I think that a bad situation became a good situation.
That sucks dude....but at least they're picking up the bill. Usually most of the damage is done from trying to restart it after the engine has stalled.

Hell, while the new engine is out might as well cam that baby too...maybe do a little work on the heads.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
cr80renob
Captain

Where are the pics?!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Foiled
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ifucantdodgeitramit
I was ****ing arround in a parking lot after a severe thunder shower and there was about 3 feet of water in the lot. I was going back and forth through the water as fast as I could and then my truck stalled. 24 hours later my truck is still there and it does not want to start. Any ideas why

Thanks for helping keep my insurance rates high with a false claim.

Own up to it and tell them the truth. You know, that is fraud. Look it up and see how much time you can get it they catch you.

Going back and forth is not just starting it up and moving it.

Quick Reply: drowned engine