3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats the best rubbing compound for scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 PM
nemesisprogram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best rubbing compound for scratches

Whats the best rubbing compound I can use after filling in scratches and chips? I don't want anything to strong thats going to eat away to much paint

Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've used regular old Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and Polishing Compound for years. Usually with a buffer and real wool pad, but sometimes I've had to resort to wet sanding, but you can ruin it if you're not careful.
But (and don't laugh) I picked up that kit that was advertised on TV not long ago when I came upon it real cheap in a dollar store with a little "as seen on TV" section for like $9.95. It's the one that comes with the cheazy little buffer that runs on two AA batteries, a tube of compound, extra buffer wheel (that's about the size of a half dollar) & a micro fiber cloth.
The damn little thing got rid of every scratch that still had the color of the paint still in the bottom of it. The only ones it didn't fix were a couple of little rock chips and one scratch that had the metal showing through. A day or two later I washed the whole Jeep and applied a coat of wax, as I always do with a light buffer and I couldn't find most of the scratches. The few I could find, the light had to hit them just right and I had to really look for 'em.
Couldn't be any easier or safer to use and the price couldn't be beat...

Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used maguires scratch x on mine and it took almost all of my scratches from off roading off.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
devildg84
Professional

i have been using mothers 3 step wax stuff they have step on which is a rubbing compound, then a sealer/glaze, and then the wax... takes the swirl marks and small scratches right out love it idk how it would do with the touch up paint... i would imagine pretty good

Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM
throberts
Professional

3M makes some excellent automotive paint rubbing compounds in different grits depending your application. It's been a while since I had to use it, but it worked great before for wet sand/swirl marks. my 2cents.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Ben D.
Champion

all depends on how deep they are. I'm a fan of Menzerna polishes to take out scratches and I use Zaino for my finishing processes to remove scratches.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
nemesisprogram
Veteran

Thanks everyone for your input

Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Ben D.
Champion

my suggestion woudl be go to a place like autopia.org they have an amazign forum, take pics of ur truck and ask for recommendations for the problems. they will be able to give you a rundown of the different products you will want. lot of ppl there that the manufacturers send new products to to test before it hits market which is impressive

Quick Reply: Whats the best rubbing compound for scratches