3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dick Cepek Radial F-C II questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
boomer79
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dick Cepek Radial F-C II questions

Will this tire in a 33x12.50R20 fit on the stock 20s for an 08 Ram 1500 QC 4x4? I am pretty sure thats the same size of the stock tire on right now, but it seems like I was reading somewhere that people were having problems.

Would this be a pretty good all around tire for on the road and the occasional off-road? Also winter can be a b!tch around here so how will it perform in snow and ice?

Old 08-17-2008, 04:21 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hammer will chime in on this and will be able to give you a lot of feedback on this tire as he has it and loves them. a 33" tire will fit since its the same size as factory. however 12.5" wide is wider than stock. that maygive you problems. but romeosoldier ran 36x13.5's on his srock 20's with just a leveling kit with no problems!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A great tire for a daily driver that also likes to play hard or hunt well off the beaten path.
It's marketed as a cross between an A/T & M/T and that about describes this tire as well as anything. Since I moved to Fl. to take care of my parents, I commute to the farm in Ga. (not as often as I would like). 90% Interstate and highway, but when I get there it's work around the farm, fish, hunt, etc. I'd always opted for an aggressive M/T tire before, but was afraid they'd get chewed up with so much interstate commuting, but I need something that will allow me to work & play. If you've never been off-road in that famous Ga. red clay when it's wet, it strongly rivals driving on slush covered ice up north. I've owned nothing but Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires for the last dozen years or so. I doubt I'll ever own anything else. I've never had a problem with a single tire and they last forever. They are a little noisier than most A/T's, but a good bit quieter than a very aggressive M/T. I would imagine it would handle snow well and it's a heavily siped tire, so it's wet pavement performance is well above average.
I strongly recommend this tire for anyone but the most die-hard off-roader, the guy who does the mud bogs every weekend who would be better suited with TSL Boggers or Baja Claws...

As for the fit, I had 33x12.5x17s on my truck when it was bone stock and did not have a fitment issue, but, it was not on the stock rims, it was on my current rims which have a decent 4.5" backspacing. Height wise you will be fine, width for clearing front end components, I'm not sure.

If you notice on the pic of my tires, you'll see the center of the tire has more of an A/T pattern whereas the inner & outer treads are a much more aggressive, block & side biter M/T pattern. The key to effectively using this tire is to run it fairly full of air, at least 38 lbs. or so (max is 50) which allows you to make full contact with the center treads and although the outer treads still come in contact, they don't get chewed up by the pavement. When you are going off-road to play in the mud, on the rocks, etc. you air 'em down a little, allowing the aggressive blocks & side-biters to come into full play, giving you the traction to rival some of the better M/T tires.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-17-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
boomer79

Sounds like a perfect fit in regards to what I need. Now I just need to find the right size. I still have stock 20s, and also have a 2.5" level. So what yalls recommendations be on a tire size?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I'm not a fan of 20" wheels for off-road use unless the tire size is really big (like 37" or more) reason being that sidewall flex and floatation is almost as important as tread when it comes to off-road performance. So, even though I almost never recommend 35" tires with just a level kit (even though they'll fit) I'd say, go with the 35's. They may hit the bottom of the tire well on really big bumps and you may find a loss in power without re-gearing, but a 33" tire on a 20" wheel just doesn't have enough sidewall to do much off road. Not to mention you'll be much more likely to have a sidewall puncture because there will simply be no give in the sidewall...
But I think for the best over-all off-road performance, on pavement performance and most mpg's, your best combo would be 33x12.5x17's...

Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 PM
boomer79

well d@mn I didn't really wanna have to pony up the money for wheels also, but looks like I am gonna. Anyone have a website that does pretty good package deals??

Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yea, I didn't think you'd want to hear my opinion. But it's only my opinion, take it for what it's worth. But as far as off-road use, look at the pic I posted. Now, those are 35" tires on 17" wheels. Picture how much sidewall you'd be lacking if the wheels had 3" more diameter. Wouldn't be a lot of sidewall left, would there. Now for 33's on a 20" wheel, add the same 3" diameter to the wheel, but then take off 2" from the tire. Now what's left?

The lesser of the evils I think is to go with the 35s on your 20s, but now look again. I have 4" of lift, so take off 1.5" between the top of the tire and the bottom of the tire well. It's not so close it's tight, but it'll hit if you really flex the suspension off road. To me that's the only combo to consider if you keep your stock wheels.
But like I said, if you decide you can afford and live with 17's, and go with the 33's, you will kinda have the better of everything, unless, of course, you want to increase your lift...

Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 PM
boomer79

No I definitely appreciate all your help. I am by no means experienced when it comes to things like this. I have the basics but thats about it. Haha I have the money for the wheels I was just being a cheap s.o.b. With a 17" wheel and 33" tire will that look pretty small with a 2.5" level? So here is what I am going with so far:

Tire
Dick Cepek FC II Radial F-11 33x12.50R17LT

Wheel
Dick Cepek DC-1 Black
17x9
5x5.5 bolt pattern
back spacing is 4.53in
offset -12mm
max load 2500 lbs
hub centric=no

I have never ordered wheels and tires off the internet is it normally a pretty safe process? Does all that check out size wise? Also is there anything else I need to pick up with the wheels and tires, or will lugs and what not come with? Any other info that I might need to know is more then welcome. Sorry bout bombarding you guys with questions. Just trying not the screw it up.

Last edited by boomer79; 08-17-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

No, I don't think 33's would look too small. I had 33's on my truck before the lift and cranked the t-bars to bring the front up about 1.5" and the well looked VERY full. I doubt the extra inch you'd have in lift would make it look cavernous there.
As far as ordering off the 'net, I've gotten ATV tires & wheels before. I'd say to just stay with a bigger, more creditable company.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:02 PM
boomer79

You ever heard of performance4trucks.com?? Thats one of the listed online retailers off of the dickcepeks webpage so I am assuming they are pretty reputable.

Also did those sizes I posted earlier look good to you??

Quick Reply: Dick Cepek Radial F-C II questions