3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Laramie Hemi Ram 4x4 reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:38 PM
rexradar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Laramie Hemi Ram 4x4 reliability?

Still thinking of getting a '04 Lara QC. Has abouts 65K miles. What reliability issues if any have you had? Or has your truck never left you stranded? Not trying to start any arguments, just want the facts. If you have had drivetrain issues please also state if you have done any performance mods of lifts so that can be taken into consideration. If it's better than a rock than please tell why you think that may be the case. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mines an '04 QCSB Hemi 4x4. Other than a blown shock while off-roading, (replaced under warranty) I've NEVER had an issue to date. Granted, since I have a daily driver (Jeep GC) I have relatively low mileage (about to hit 40k when I go home to Ga. next week), but it's been driven fairly hard as I hunt/fish/off-road and in general, play rough.
I also know what the weaknesses of most different brand trucks are, and I'm sure I headed off a few with mods I've done (like putting in an Auburn LSD instead of letting the Mopar one grenade my rear diff).
Too many mods to type, go to my album, in the album description I have the mods listed.

BTW: I had a '98 RCSB 5.9 Magnum 4x4 lifted with 35" tires also and traded it with 68k on it and never once had an issue. I've read horror stories of 2nd gen trucks going through tranny after tranny, and maybe I didn't have mine long enough or put enough miles on it, but that tranny was as good as day one when I traded it in...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-02-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 QC Laramie 4x4 and have not had any problems with it at all up to this point. It has seemed very solid overall and there really isn't anything that I have had to do to it other than regular maintenance.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:59 PM
nvisciani
Rookie

have a 04 QC 4x4 SLT - Three issues todate are egr valve and a rear pinion seal and dash wiring harness. I beat it like a rented mule. So far it's never left me stranded....

Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

i have an 03 hemi with over 112K miles and it has NEVER let me down. Just make sure that you do maintain it, and you will have no problems.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Thumbs up

Threads have identified two areas of concern. Clips that fall off and total the rear end if you have LSD. I have an open (peg leg) rear and no problems. The other is the power steering. A hose was repalced under warranty and now it seems like its losing fluid again. The way I see the postings, 10% of the steering problems involve the rack and 90% is the hose, primarily cheap clamps. I have 52K on my 04 and has been trouble free save the power steering hose. If you are buying from a dealer, insist that they replace the front door seals, there is a TSB on it. I really did not have a problem, but when I brought it up, it was replaced under the warranty.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Threads have identified two areas of concern. Clips that fall off and total the rear end if you have LSD. I have an open (peg leg) rear and no problems. The other is the power steering. A hose was repalced under warranty and now it seems like its losing fluid again. The way I see the postings, 10% of the steering problems involve the rack and 90% is the hose, primarily cheap clamps. I have 52K on my 04 and has been trouble free save the power steering hose. If you are buying from a dealer, insist that they replace the front door seals, there is a TSB on it. I really did not have a problem, but when I brought it up, it was replaced under the warranty.
Sorry for this, but I just notice in your post... is there any TSB about the power steering on the Dodges? Mainly because my check engine light is on... again, and it's been about the Power Steering Switch.

I haven't had my truck long enough to tell you about any problems, but what I've noticed, is I have check engine light problems. My bulb is close to burning out... lol
If it happens to be gray, don't be mad about any paint problems. The clear coat on gray trucks fades fast, so wax it often.
My grandpa has an '05 with really low miles, and he's only had problems with it always having a dead battery. Otherwise, he's really been satisfied with it. As am I with mine.

Last edited by ried69; 09-15-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...........retaining clips on the crap stock lsd.............power steering problems..............rotors warping, are the three main moans but you do get posts up about the "Hemi tick" and the "death wobble".

Al.

Quick Reply: 2004 Laramie Hemi Ram 4x4 reliability?